ZPM Crowdsourced PID machine

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

ZPM Crowdsourced PID machine

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Check this out

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpm ... so-machine

Looks great, haven't found any credible tests of the prototype yet but I always thought a thermoblock could be a great solution if somebody went to the trouble of engineering it properly. Anybody got any more info?
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I was banging on about this a while ago and the lads on kaffe netz gave it a pop but did not take it far enough.

Behind that cat you can just see a Quickmill 0820 with a pid in an illy can. I had to drill the block 4 times to get the a location for the tc that related to the water temp. Threw away the steam wand and replaced with a brass preinfusion chamber coupled to the block. It's basic to add a pot to the vibe pump so you can pressure profile. It heats up in less than 5 min, yep, the group too.

At first I thought I loved this machine because it's mine and a friend found it in a garbage pile. Having worked a Mirage and a Linea for a year, it's safe to say that a thermoblock system is just a dry hx and has the potential to match any other system but using a tenth of the juice.

I did all our UKBC blend work on it, transfered fine. Which is not saying much... :wink:
Attachments
pidcat.JPG
pidcat.JPG (43.62 KiB) Viewed 16535 times
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Where in the heck did the Illy can come from??? :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 pm

'Kinell Isjms you don't mess around do you?!

You need some crowdsourced funding, then perhaps you could get a nescafe jar to house your electronics.
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Haha.

Seriously though, did anyone get here without passing Illy on the way? Some coffee folk talk as though they were born with a COE Santa Helena on their (silver) cupping spoon.

I admit to drinking, nay, enjoying some proper road tar on the way here. No going back, keeping the cups and tins though. In truth I have a soft spot for illy what with all their research and cool cups.

This post will self destruct........
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 pm

lsjms wrote:This post will self destruct........

No it won't - mod
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Jank and I just putting the order together for the our first home built 2 group this week, it's going to be a monster. The body frame will be self supporting, giving plenty finish options. I fancy the body in resin coated ply!

Wassat ya say about a Nescaf can? I'll have to find somewhere for the brushes.
Attachments
Nescafroast.JPG
Nescafroast.JPG (194.18 KiB) Viewed 16512 times
lsjms

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Oh god, I don't even know whether you're being serious, though I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

I actually have a fondness for Illy, as long as you catch it within a few hours of the seal being broken. Those 3kg hopper tins look ace - how about a DF version?
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Now that's a nice idea. Broke though, no room for logo tampers and other fluff. Maybe next year.

The 2 group? Totally, it will be on the stall by summer. Jank already has the order for 002, assuming mine performs as predicted
lsjms

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Thermoblock? You wont be needing those outdated dual boiler and hx machines then...
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 pm

http://www.coleparmer.ca/catalog/produc ... ku=0710700

It has been explored, but the first one will be nothing ground breaking. Bullet proof simplicity, low power consumption and easily moved are the goals. Using a lot of off the shelf stuff, lever groups and a recyled boiler.
lsjms

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Ah yes, simplicity.

WTF is that thing you linked to?
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 am

Plenty of time for that to change.

It's a pump with heating elements and facility to adjust temp via pid. It's the missing link in thermoblocks or any tiny boiler machine. Feed them hot water and avoid the big swings. Can't do it for $200 though.
lsjms

Postby GreenBean » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:49 pm

lsjms wrote:......It's a pump with heating elements and facility to adjust temp via pid. It's the missing link in thermoblocks or any tiny boiler machine. Feed them hot water and avoid the big swings. Can't do it for $200 though.

That is an interesting concept lsjms. It is a pity the price is so high.:shock: Are you just pointing out the possibilities this provides or are you intending to try one?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby lsjms » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Er, mostly just thinking aloud.

I'd love to try one or at least find a neat way of feeding machines hot water. I have been stuck in a nightmare at my stall, Mirage brains burning out, genny (non voltage reg) tripping every 30 min. I have detrated the element to 1350w, which I did not think would work. It performs fine, even yesterday, warming up from 7 odd degrees. In this state it will brew 200 odd shots and produce good Kees steam, however touching the hot water button will cause the boiler pressure to plummet. So I have a propane tea urn for the hot water, PIA.

The simple solution to all this would be to feed it hot/warm water, and some of those little elements are pretty low power. Seems also like a route to increased stability for a lot of machines and general fuel saving, as usual I expect do to it for about a tenner....
----

I see the vid of them tooling the block has been pulled, shame because I wanted to ask if anyone could tell if that was aluminium? I would be seriously worried if they are building another two piece alu block.
lsjms

Next

Return to Espresso