worth PIDing a gaggia cubika?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

worth PIDing a gaggia cubika?

Postby fluffykiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi
Please let me know straight if this is a stupid idea, and get it out of my head.

I've had a cubika for a couple of years, bought mainly due to how cheap it was as at the time I didn't know how much I would enjoy espresso (or making it).

Ive now got a mild case of upgradeitis, but can't cure it due to a relative lack of funds (-although my first grinder is in santa's sack which may do the trick). Im pondering whether it would be a good idea to PID my cubika as a compromise.....basically I can pull (believe it or not) some good shots with the cubika, but after the first one or so "think" temperature problems are getting in the way - consistency goes haywire (it has a very light grouphead made of ?aluminium to add to the usual thermostat problems).

so:
1) is it worthwhile on a machine like this?
2) if so, does a dual-sensor variety add much (the second for the steaming - which I do regularly). If I do it Im likely to buy the PID, thermocouple (?K-type ok) and SSC separately from ebay and wires/connectors from local hardware shop as the kits for the silvia etc cost more than my machine is worth)
3) is it easy?
-I sometimes open the machine up to clean inside etc
-I can wire a plug, or follow basic electrical instructions.
-If I break the cubika, I won't cry as it owes me nothing.

thanks for the ideas/common sense (which I am known to lack).
fluffykiwi

RE: worth PIDing a gaggia cubika?

Postby Aadje » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Well, I put a PID on my Rancilio Audrey, which was pretty straightforward, and gave great results.
I had 1 sensor and it served me well. I just used the temperature indication to decide when to start steaming.

Furthermore, if upgrading to a new machine you can always keep/reuse the PID.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Doesn't the Cubika have an aluminium portafilter? I am not a fan of PIDing machines anyway, but I think the Cubika is too lightly built to really profit from the modification. It probably suffers the same weaknesses as many of the small, home lever machines in that the brew head and portafilter get so hot after drawing a couple of shots that you have to shut it down or cool it somehow. I don't know whether a PID would be able to rectify that situation. I also don't think the Cubka is well known on this forum.

Maybe someone who really knows something will have some more useful input. :roll: :oops:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby fluffykiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:39 pm

hi thanks for the comments:

yes the cubika does have a cheap and light portafilter (and everything else). you are correct after a couple of shots it doesn't do very well (in my hands) - I suspect this is a temperature issue, hence the idea re a PID. However, if the thermostat etc is only part of the problem and the rest is the poor thermal properties integral to the machine, then well maybe a PID is a bit pointless - so good advice thank you.

On the other hand, if I do get the means for an upgrade I may give it a go and let you know what effect it has.

Brings me on to another naive question - do most manufacturers portafilters fit all their machines - ie could I buy one for a classic and see if it helps prevent the temp overheating after a couple of shots?
fluffykiwi

Postby fluffykiwi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 am

Hi I've definitely given this daft idea the boot.
Saving up my pennies for an upgrade - if possible a 2nd hand Hx. If anyone has one gathering dust let me know!
fluffykiwi

Return to Espresso