Frothing Advice needed

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Frothing Advice needed

Postby Cinnabull » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Folks,

first post on here so pls be gentle.

I have just bought a Gaggia Baby Twin, and need some advice on frothing the milk with the steam wand. When I do it, I just get a whole load of bubbles and milk, the milk is hot, but not 'foamy' if you get my drift. It is just like milk!!. I get a whole load of froth, but not pourable 'frothy' milk, its like 2 entirely different components in the jug, milk, and / or bubbles. Am I doing something wrong here, or is that just how it is, and advice, tips, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart
Cinnabull

RE: Frothing Advice needed

Postby bruceb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 am

There are many variables to frothing milk. Firstly, some milk just doesn't froth well. Most people find that this is a problem in winter when the cows are being fed silage and hay rather than munching on nice green grass. Secondly, the Gaggia steam wand is not usually considered the best and many people replace theirs with wands from other machines. Thirdly, the question of technique arises and this is something you can work on. Rather than trying to describe how to froth correctly I would suggest you check YouTube for the many instructive suggestions on how to get good microfroth. (I apologise for this suggestion if you are well familiar with the technique, but are just having trouble with the Gaggia)

Have you tried swirling the jug after frothing. You sometimes can swirl it until the milk and froth rejoin and become shiny.

Perhaps someone more familiar with your machine will turn up here and have some more specific advice for you. In any case, welcome on board and enjoy your coffee! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ahgee2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to TMC! Bruce gives excellent advice but I can supplement this with some Gaggia-specific tips. First, as Bruce says, the plastic Gaggia "turbo frother" is far from ideal. It has a hole in the side which draws in air, making it easy for typical users to get froth, but impossible for demanding users to get proper microfoam. Best thing is to take the whole thing off and replace with a Rancilio Silvia steam wand - plenty of advice on the web how to do this. Next best thing, while you are waiting for the replacement wand to arrive, is to follow the instructions here

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/blends/275004

and move the red rubber ring down one notch. This blocks off the troublesome hole. Good luck!

Andrew
ahgee2

RE: Frothing Advice needed

Postby lsjms » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

Do you have a steam tip (like in vid) or a paranello (fat plastic thing)?

I always think of the Stella ad where the mini people make some big bubbles then chop all the bubbles into tiny ones, and what Bruce said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR2mo1Yy ... creen&NR=1
The actual milk is a massive fail, but I like the vid and it shows how to steam with a low power machine.
lsjms

Postby ahgee2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:51 am

The Gaggia in Lawrence's video has had the Rancilio steam wand modification, this is what you are aiming for once you have swapped the wands. You can get around 50% of the improvement with the red ring trick, for the rest you will need to shell out £20 or so for the wand.
Andrew
ahgee2

Postby Aadje » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Welcome to the madhouse!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Cinnabull » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey guys,

thanks for the tips so far, ..... quick update.

moved the red thingy down a notch and it has improved a bit. however, after virtually the whole day, and 8 pints of milk goosed, I dont think the wand will do the trick. I've watched loads of stuff on the tube, tried all angles, depth of insertion of the tip, swirling it manually, and still its milk and froth, two distinctly seperately parts. The wand on my machine is all metal, with a plastic thing inserted in it.

OK, so, does anyone know who supplies the Rancilia wand, and more importantly, does anyone know somebody in the northwest who can fit it, as I aint no machine mechanic !!

Stuart
Cinnabull

Postby lukas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Can't answer your question, but is it by any means possible to just use the metal arm without all the plastic attached to it for steaming? If it is long enough to get below the milk surface, it might just work.

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse Stuart!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby ahgee2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:57 am

The metal arm without the plastic sleeve is usually too short, but you could give it a go, you might get luckly. Failing that, you can buy a Rancilio wand here

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hdr0001.html

or here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaggia-Classi ... 500wt_1413

I'm not in the northwest so cannot offer help to fit it, but it's not difficult, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for anyone (you or a friend) who is confident with a spanner. There's a handy video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCcwmxj5lw

though it's a little OTT, I have done two Gaggias and never had to cut through the old wand to remove the nut! On the other hand, in the video there was enough of the coupling nut protruding below the case to loosen the nut with some pliers (around 0:36). On the Carezza and Evolution I did, this was not the case and I first had to open up the machine (unplug it first) and detach the top of the steam wand from the steam valve, which allows the wand to drop down through the casing for easy access to its bottom end. Good luck!

Andrew
ahgee2

Postby Cinnabull » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the info above, I've mailed the ebay seller, and they say it fits the Classic only. Damn. Not sure if the wand on the Classic is the same as a baby twin, I'll have to see about that, but it looks like I'm stuffed at the moment. Another 4 pinter gone down the drain this evening as well. There must be a secret to doing it, but I'm running out of ideas here !!. Anyone else know anything I dont....

BTW I can get used to 'real espresso' tho !! But I'd love to do a Latte or C'Cino.

cheers

Stuart
Cinnabull

Postby Beanie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Stuart...when it comes to training on steam foamingmilk, I don't really.... I cheat!!

On YouTube copy the following (quotation marks & all) in the search:
"Scott Rao" + "milk steaming" + "latte art"

Seriously, I make ALL my trainees watch it...and one who'd only ever steamed milk once, well his first attempt after the video turned out nearly perfect and definitely servable :-D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby grchif » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Wherabouts in the North West are you Stuart? If close by South Manchester I could whip my wand off and pop over to see if it will fit if you'd like...

Colin
Rancilio Silvia (PID = good!) : Fiorenzato Doge 63 : Aeropress: TC-5: Hario Press Pot : Hario Slim Grinder
grchif

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Welcome to TMC Stuart :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Cinnabull » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:55 pm

grchif wrote:Wherabouts in the North West are you Stuart? If close by South Manchester I could whip my wand off and pop over to see if it will fit if you'd like...

Colin

Colin, hey mate that would be great if you could. I'm in Warrington, do you know how to remove the one from my machine, as I haven't a clue,

cheers

Stuart
Cinnabull

Postby grchif » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 pm

PM on it's way... :D

Colin
Rancilio Silvia (PID = good!) : Fiorenzato Doge 63 : Aeropress: TC-5: Hario Press Pot : Hario Slim Grinder
grchif

Next

Return to Espresso