Considering different coffee machines

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Algerian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:00 pm

:D I can't thank you guys enough! You've given me a lot to think about and consider.

What's clear is what NOT to buy. But what is not clear is WHAT to buy. That's the fun of this process.
Algerian

Postby Algerian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Considering some more--you have set up a number of tests for me which I hadn't before thought of.

I think the grinder is taken care of in that the consensus is the Eureka Mignon which is in price range.

On the coffee machine front confusion reigns. A number of you say it depends what kind of person you are with respect to pulling a lever or pushing a button. How do you find out? I admit to never having used a lever machine. The Ponte Vecchio Lusso is a lovely machine. But so are the La Scala Butterfly and the Fracino Piccino (with the advantage of being a double boiler). On that score my girlfriend will only drink a couple of cups a coffee a day so there will be more espressos made than caps.

So it looks as if I am down to these 3 machines. Nevertheless I am taking your advice to think this through carefully--no panic buying here.
Algerian

RE: Considering different coffee machines

Postby canta_brian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 pm

If you have the space grinder wise, I have an older model of this

http://www.coffeeclassicsdirect.co.uk/c ... r-21-p.asp

It is a bit of a beast and they seem to have sorted my biggest grumble which is the fact that the scale of grind is a bit random. Mine is stepped for adjustment is sounds like the new one is a bit closer to stepless.

This will probably break your kitchen bench before it breaks, but like I say if you have the space...
canta_brian

Postby easylife » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I agree it's tricky !

The type of machine is sort of related to what kind of "coffee maker" you are likely to be yourself. Do you want something that will make you a good consistent drink without a lot of effort, or are you going to be a "hobbyist" who likes the process as much as the result (some people more so!) and just maybe - likes to tinker a bit.

Do you want the easiest to use (probably a dual boiler). That's what I finally ended up with, and would have saved myself money by getting one in the first place.

Trickier, but more versatile if you learn to use it properly, an HX machine - more versatile in that with practice, you can vary the temperature of the brewing water from one pull to the next - real coffee hobbyists like this feature as they can experiment more. I discovered I'm not a tinkerer, and sold mine.

A spring lever machine (don't think one has been suggested, and frankly unless you get a good used one, they are well out of your price range) which has the romance of Italian Coffee bars of the 1950's

or

A hand lever which has its proponents, but drawbacks with some models (you've already been advised in an earlier post) such as rapid overheating.

Also, with this kind of expenditure, you want something that's going to be reliable, has a warranty, and most importantly good after sales service just in case. When you get to the more expensive machines the parts that may fail are likely to be pretty industry standard anyway.

Put all of that in the mix ! Don't think anyone on here can tell you what will suit you personally though, only what they would go for themselves. :)

Will your girlfriend be using this too ? Even more complicated in that case 'cos you both have to agree :wink:
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Our local Italian Trattoria has a Butterfly and I like it (especially if they brew one of my roasts with it). It's an E-61 machine, which rules it out for me, but that is my own personal dislike. It certainly is a robust workhorse and very reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby canta_brian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Is there much difference between the butterfly and other hx e61 machines? I have an expobar leva, it was cheaper than most when I got it but the spec seemed very similar to others. The butterfly seems a good price and certainly looks the part.
canta_brian

Postby lsjms » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 am

Bruce, when you do come to the UK, come play on the Kees e-61. I am personally offended at your remarks about e-61's :wink: although the screens do annoy a little I find they pull better shots than LM groups and many others.

Anyone seen/used a Piccino? amazing price.

Better a well thought hx than an ill thought double boiler. The leva looks pretty similar t the Butterfly.

Given the option to custom match one of these machines to the kitchen decor, surely the girlfriends selection is sewn up :lol:
lsjms

Postby zix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

A spring lever machine (don't think one has been suggested, and frankly unless you get a good used one, they are well out of your price range)

Yes, one has been suggested... the Ponte Vecchio Lusso is actually a spring lever with thermosiphon :)
HB:s long and detailed test/review is at: http://www.home-barista.com/ponte-vecchio-lusso-review.html
It isn't that expensive - on par with Zaffiro. And you don't need to wait or press any button to steam milk.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby easylife » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:11 pm

I stand corrected !
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

I bought a coffee machine!

Postby Algerian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 pm

:D With all the help I received in this thread I made my decision. I went to see JankSolid's refurbished/rebuilt La Scala Butterfly. It was truly beautiful. (I tell you if you see him selling any other machines, don't hesitate--buy.)

He's done a superb job on this machine. And I am looking forward to collecting it soon after it's been painted in MY choice of colour. Can it get any better?

Thanks, chaps!
Algerian

RE: I bought a coffee machine!

Postby RobC » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Will you share some pics when it arrives? Sounds pretty awesome.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

RE: I bought a coffee machine!

Postby zix » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Congrats! I hear the Butterfly is a great machine. You´re going to have so much fun!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Pics of my Butterfly

Postby Algerian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 pm

zix and RobC I promise you I shall post pictures as soon as I get my paws on it. I'm thrilled by the prospect, believe me.

So more anon.
Algerian

La Scala Butterfly and Mazzer Super Jolly Grinder

Postby Algerian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, I've completed the set. Today I bought a used Mazzer Super Jolly grinder from ebay in Switzerland--with postage it's costing £260. With the La Scala Butterfly and the Mazzer I feel pretty well set up...for life. Who knows? But I'm going to have lots of fun with these.

And it's all been done within budget at £760!

Pictures and reviews will follow when everything arrives and is set up.

Thank you for all your great help. You made all the difference to this process.

:P :P
Algerian

RE: La Scala Butterfly and Mazzer Super Jolly Grinder

Postby Aadje » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!

Happy pouring.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso