Gaggia Classic advice please!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Classic advice please!

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi All - Long time no post....

I've finally had to grant my Gaggia Coffee a dignified death. The old girls done well over seven years but the valves are shot, the boiler is badly corroded and the pump is on it's way out.

While tempted with bigger and better, I've been so happy with the 'Coffee that I've gone for another Gaggia - a Classic, I'm happy to have a solenoid valve now and I can simply transfer my PID installation.

Obviously I'm pretty comfortable with an Espresso machine, but does anyone have any tips for a stable relationship with the Classic - particularly the Solenoid valve.. ?

Thanks

Dan
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lincolnshire water is killing poor Gaggia......

PID'd Gaggia Coffee, Silvia Wand, Naked PF / Ibertial MC2 Auto / iRoast2 / Popper Roaster / Schott VacPot / No cupboard space anymore!
http://www.thedomesticbarista.com
-----------------------
Dan

Postby propofolpete » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 pm

You can backflush now I think. Does the classic come with a blank filter? If so off you go.
I might be wrong though- I've got a selecta delux ~the classic sans solenoid.
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby DrTom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 am

Hello Dan,

I love the Classic :) There should be no new learning curve for you during the transition of machines for a beautiful relationship, especially with your PID transplant!

The brew pressure can be changed pretty easily and is something I always do to any Classic. The target pressure for me is 9 bar.

This is done by opening up the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) and changing the pressure that the OPV will open at (apologies if I'm re-covering old ground for you).

If you want I can tell you how I do it but there are some pretty OK write ups about:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1175171794/0

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1143118905/0

The only thing I can add is don't use guess work when adjusting the OPV. I made a scary looking manometer with a bottomless portafilter, a blank basket with a hole in it and a pressure gauge. Not the most elegant solution...

As propofolpete says, backflushing is now on the menu! Here's the short guide I follow:

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/how-to-backflush.html

:) 8)
DrTom

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Well, upgrade done. PID transplanted and Silvia steam nozzle transfered.

Good call on the pressure - I had to back the grinder off quite a bit to get a good shot so I suspect a low pressure (although the solenoid valve never bypasses). A low pressure does surprise me though, because, Gaggia, what is up with the ridiculous baskets with a single pinhole in the bottom - how are you supposed to get a decent shot from that?

PID'd Gaggia Coffee, Silvia Wand, Naked PF / Ibertial MC2 Auto / iRoast2 / Popper Roaster / Schott VacPot / No cupboard space anymore!
-----------------------
Dan

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:31 am

Dan wrote:Well, upgrade done. PID transplanted and Silvia steam nozzle transfered.

Good call on the pressure - I had to back the grinder off quite a bit to get a good shot so I suspect a low pressure (although the solenoid valve never bypasses). A low pressure does surprise me though, because, Gaggia, what is up with the ridiculous baskets with a single pinhole in the bottom - how are you supposed to get a decent shot from that?

The only way to get a good shot from them is to bin them and get normal, non-crema-enhanced baskets. Happy Donkey has them for sure.

I'm a bit surprised that you think the pressure was low. Or did you measure it? Normally these machines are set up so the pressure goes all the way up to 15 bar when blocked off. The basket can certainly have an effect on optimal grind. Don't be fooled by the pinhole in the bottom of the crema-enhanced basket. The perforations above it are quite generous and probably less restrictive than one might suppose.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:02 am

I've got plenty of baskets already luckily! The volume of the larger Gaggia basket is huge, almost a triple I think. I wonder if the restiction in the bottom of the new baskets is due to the fact that most buyers will use pre-ground and Gaggia feel they need to come up with a solution that makes pre-ground (and probably too coarse) pour like espresso should.

Given my solenoid valve I'm not making a date with the bin for the Gaggia baskets - a dot of epoxy and I'll have a blanking basket for backflushing!

First shot this morning - very nice (even with shop coffee - awating Hasbean delivery) - I guess the seals on the 'Classic were all pretty well gone because I haven't steam pressure like I got today for a long time.

-----------------------
Dan

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am

The majority of home espresso machine manufacturers put "crema enhanced" baskets on their machines. They know that if the shots their customers pull don't have foam on top of them they will get all kinds of complaints that the machine is not in order. They also know that many users will not have a proper grinder and that the majority won't know how to dial in a proper grinder even if they have one. Hence, put a gadget on the basket that makes foam and everyone will be happy regardless of what the user puts in the basket. When you deal with the general public you have to think that way. The average bloke doesn't even consider going through what we go (or went) through in order to learn to make a good cup of coffee. That's why bean-to-cup machines are so popular.

In any case, congratulations on your success.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby AJJ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I ran a classic for a number of years (still have it as a backup) and enjoyed pretty good milk based drinks from it. I could never really get a shot that could be drunk neat without some serious grimmacing.

Mine always ran way too hot (I never pid'ed it) and required a 15 second flush before each shot or else it slaughtered the coffee.

I fitted the Sylvia wand too and this was a big improvement over the standard. I always had to surf the boiler to steam even a small jug or else it would start to screech towards the end.
AJJ

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:25 am

Welcome back Dan :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso