Isomac Tea Problem - Advice Please

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Isomac Tea Problem - Advice Please

Postby davidbondy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

My Isomac Tea II has developed a problem ... I am not sure how to describe it but here goes:

The valve behind the group head where the excess water comes out into the dry tray after pulling a shot is leaking. It seems to have an almost constant trickle. I have also noticed that, when I park the lever at the half-way point after flushing the head, water continues to trickle through the shower head.

I hope this makes sense! SO folks ... what is the problem likely to be? Is it fixable by me or if not, who could come round and fix it for me? What is it likely to cost?

H E L P ! !
davidbondy

RE: Isomac Tea Problem - Advice Please

Postby bruceb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am

It sounds like the valve operated by the brew lever is not closing properly. This may be a mechanical problem, but is most likely caused by scale or dirt on the seat of the valve. Do you back-flush regularly? Have you done so recently. Giving a burst of pressure to the valve might clear it, but most likely it will need to be cleaned either chemically or mechanically, ie. disassembled. Whether you can do this yourself depends upon your willingness and ability to take it apart, having a few tools and time. Perhaps someone on the forum will offer to pay you a visit and give you a hand with it. If you have more questions keep trying here and someone will probably come along and have more useful information and/or suggestions.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby davidbondy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks so much for your quick response. I do a regular back flush with Cafitza. I will try to do a cleaning cycle and see if that clears the blockage if that is what it is. I do not feel very confident about taking it apart but if I have to then I will as long as I know what I am looking for. If I need parts first then I will have to source them prior to any dismantling of the valve.

Let's see what other members come up with!

Thanks again!

David
davidbondy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 pm

If backflushing does not clear it then, as Bruce suggests, you could try a descale. If this does not solve the problem then it will be necessary to strip and clean the grouphead. You can obtain a kit of replacement seals and springs from Bella Barista and you will also need a suitable high temperature food safe grease. Molykote 111 is usually suggested for this.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby davidbondy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks so much guys! I did a full descale job followed by my normal backflush and it seems to have cured it! I think I will need to take it to bits and lubricate the handle etc. at some time but right now it has stopped leaking!

Thanks again!

David
davidbondy

Return to Espresso