Gaggia Classic Leak.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Classic Leak.

Postby dennis moriarty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi all
I have got a leak on my steam arm when the machine is on. This gets worse after I have pulled a shot and am waiting for the steam to kick in. Any advice on the problem/repair welcome. Thanks.
dennis moriarty

RE: Gaggia Classic Leak.

Postby lukas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Dennis!

How old your Classic? If I remember correctly, the steam valve on the older Gaggias is quite sensitive and gets leaky over time, especially if you close it with too much force. Don't remember the specifics, though - sorry!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:21 am

I too would be interested in an answer to this one. I presume that a washer or at worst the valve seat has worn out.

I suppose the worst case scenario would be to replace the valve assembly.

So, where can we get parts?
Ed

Postby GreenBean » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I have no experience of the Gaggia Classic but if the steam valve can not be dismantled for cleaning you could replace it without much trouble. A quick google turned up the following:

Instructions to replace valve.

Available from ebay.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby lukas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, that was the problem with these valves: they're copper only, and if you close them too tightly too often, it wears out and doesn't close firmly anymore so the whole valve has to be replaced. IIRC, it was somewhere around 20€.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Bombcup » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:04 pm

If you dismantle the valve you should see where the needle seals against the seat, this gets pitted over time. Put the needle in your drill chuck and spin the mating surface over some emery cloth and you should be able to restore the seal.
Bombcup

Return to Espresso