Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

James doing it again

Postby lukas » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:13 pm

There he is, doing it again:
NBC 2011 Talks – James Hoffmann: Reinventing Espresso

Don't we all love him :)

A few ( paraphrased) quotes:

The Italian Espresso Blend: "Low acidity, big heavy bodied thing. Cheap brazil and cheapy robusta, we're told it's there for the body, for the texture [...]. No: it's there because they're cheap.. That's why the italian espresso blends ended up being the way they were. They were the cheapest ingredients out there and this [early espresso machines] was a brew method that made the cheapest ingredients palatable."

9 bar pressure: "[...] you speak to guys at LaMarzocco about the whole 9 bar thing and they are like 'well, 9 bar pressure was chosen because that was the average of the lever'"

Dual Boiler Machines: "I hope this one is true [...]. I asked LaMarzocco why they started doing it. The explanation is wonderful: It has nothing to do with brew temperature at all. Italy had a tax on boiler size. And if your boiler got so big, you pay a lot of tax. So you could pay less tax if you had two small boilers."

I found it very refreshing and interesting (as always) listening to him, very well spent 45 minutes!

Have a look at the other talks as well, very very very interesting stuff.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: James doing it again

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Very interesting indeed, and as you say, James is always massively interesting to listen to and we do all love him :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso