What is best way to pour milk for 2 (or more) cappuccinos ?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What is best way to pour milk for 2 (or more) cappuccinos ?

Postby Ton » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Having a Rancilio Silvia I mainly made espresso's until now, but because my wife is fond of cappucino's I started to make them as well recently. Although I still have to exercise with frothing, I already get a decent micro foam.
However I wonder what is the best way to pour/divide the milk for 2 cappucino's (or more). Suppose I have 2 cups with espresso waiting, and have steamed milk subsequently in, e.g., a 1/2 liter pitcher, how do I pour it so that BOTH cups get the right amount of milk AND foam ?
Should I start with pouring the milk first and quickly alternate between the cups and then try to pour some foam on top or is it better to do it in reversed order ? Or use a 2nd pitcher and divide the milk/foam between them immediately after steaming ?

Btw, it is a long time ago that I was here the last time. Nice to see that this forum is still very active and still has the same regular members.
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

RE: What is best way to pour milk for 2 (or more) cappuccino

Postby lsjms » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Divide and conquer. Or decant as the barista says, watch a UKBC video for an idea. They decant the second cup as well I think, it's as much about remixing the foam/milk again just before the pour and an big bubbles remain in the old jug.
lsjms

Postby Aadje » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:19 pm

I always use a second pitcher or mug or whatever I can find to pour the first bit of foam into. Then pour the first cappa. Then pour the previously ditched foam back into the main pitcher, gently mix the two to create one homogeneous foam/froth again, pour the second cappa and bob's your uncle.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Ton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks for the help.
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Return to Espresso