Ascaso steel-No steam or Hot Water-Help!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ascaso steel-No steam or Hot Water-Help!

Postby Jonebarl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Wondered if anyone has a similar experience. I can't see a fuse anywhere, and have checked all spade connections. Have previously replaced a sloneoid valve on this machine, otherwise reasonable good use over the last 3 years. NB - The boiler/brew water is absolutely fine. It's the Hot water and steam circuit thats gone somewhere.
Thx in advance
Jonebarl

RE: Ascaso steel-No steam or Hot Water-Help!

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:04 pm

The hot water through the brew head is not running? Have you checked your pump?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Ascaso steel-No steam or Hot Water-Help!

Postby Jonebarl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hot water through the brew head is working. This is a dual boiler machine with apparently 2 pumps, so could be the pump on the steamer thermoblock is dead, but then I would expect the thermoblock to still heat up, and it isn't. Darn !!!
Jonebarl

Postby GreenBean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Welcome to TMC Jonebarl.:D I am sorry you are not getting much help with your problem, I guess this is due to the lack of knowledge of your machine and the lack of clarity as to what exactly the problem is.

I know nothing about this machine and it sounds unusual to me. If you do not have the confidence to check all the elements in the hot water circuit I would suggest you enlist the help of an espresso repair company or a clued up electrician.

The first things to check in the hot water circuit would be the following:

If water is exiting but is cold:

The heater element
    Any relay/solenoid switching the heating element
    Any over temperature trip - if this has tripped you will see a pin sticking out this would need pressing in to reset the trip
If water is not exiting:

The pump
    If the machine has not been descaled recently then check that it is not blocked

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby JankSolid » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 am

What GreenBean said.

Can you hear the pump working when you open the steam tap? If not, try checking the lever microswitch in the tap mechanism. If that's not working then the pump will not activate and the solenoid won't open. In this scenario (hot block c/w no water) then the safety thermostat(s) will trip and switch power to the block off.

Even if you can hear the pump buzzing it's no guarantee that it's actually pumping water. The coil and shuttle in these Ulka pumps are relatively robust. It's usually the other parts that fail and they often need replacing after just couple of years. It's possible to rebuild them if you're that way inclined (which I am) but at £20 it's hardly worth it.
JankSolid

Return to Espresso