KvdW Mirage Complete Overhaul

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 pm

A first look inside the boiler...

Doesn't look too bad. I've seen a lot worse.
Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Element...

HX injectors...

Boiler...

Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Getting the boiler out of the frame was a bit like getting a ship in a bottle. In reverse.

After seemingly exhausting all avenues it eventually came out very easily through the back of the frame.

Next, I'm going to cut a few cable ties and lift the wiring loom out in one piece.

If I'm doing a regular service I try to leave this in place and just clean round it. But, seeing how this is a special job, I'll take it out and pressure wash the chassis.

Back to work...
Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:24 pm

A whole heap of pipes ready to be degreased and acid dipped.

Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Hmmm, looks a lot better than the Francesconi I did a few years ago! Nice pictures. Keep 'em commin'. :wink:
Attachments
Franc_boiler_01.jpg
Francesconi Boiler - 3 years of use
Franc_boiler_01.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 9403 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Wait 'til you see the Spaziale I did last week.

I'll post it in a separate thread soon...
Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

Boiler heavily scaled. It's a big boiler too so there's loads of it in there. I'll need to get some more acid. Man.

While it's dipping I'll be cleaning out the groups, solenoids and flow-meters.

Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby dr.chris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 am

Just wanted to say what a terrific thread. I know there isnt that much activity around here at the moment but I would guess a lot of fellow 'lurkers' are watching this thread
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby JankSolid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks dr.chris.

Slow progress I'm afraid. This machine is VERY dirty. However, the boiler is nearly scale free now. One more dip and a bit of localised acid where needed should see it clean today. As suspected by ls, the upper thermocouple pipes and flow restrictors were almost completely blocked.

Groups cleaned up nicely now...

I'm on daddy duty over the weekend but might be able to squeeze in a few hours in the evenings.
Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby Sarion » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 am

Very cool project, and great pictures! Makes me feel a slight itch to descale my boiler... Thanks! :-)
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby lsjms » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 am

Nice work mate, what are we looking at?

I assume there are no moving parts in the group and from the looks of things the thermosyphon loop is not connected to the brew water path, at least not in the group. I take it that stainless bolt is separating the two chambers in the group and it's not some custom restrictor?

What's the part in the second picture? Is that sort of preinfusion chamber/mixing block? I'm assuming that's the brew water path.

This is the way restoration should be done, it's just too cool to watch this thing being readied for Brockley Market! Chris is obviously so giddy he can't even post in this thread :wink:
lsjms

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Ah Lawrence, you are cheeky! I've been checking the thread every day, really appreciate Jank putting the pics on here with regular updates and some of his thoughts, not often you get that kind of insight. What a filthy machine... I'm certainly looking forward to having this particular Mirage back in all it's shiny, temp stable, foot pedal steaming glory!
Chris

Postby dr.chris » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:02 pm

'Brockley Market'...

I lived in Ladywell until about 6 years ago. Hearing about all this stuff happening on what was our doorstep makes me a sad puppy. Planning on getting a lot closer soon but wont be back that close and where is still very much up in the air
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby JankSolid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Just as an unrelated aside...

I came across this in an idle moment on the internet and my very first thought, after admiring the La Pavoni Concorso, was "Where's his violin case?"

Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I assume there are no moving parts in the group and from the looks of things the thermosyphon loop is not connected to the brew water path, at least not in the group. I take it that stainless bolt is separating the two chambers in the group and it's not some custom restrictor?

Correct in every way!

What's the part in the second picture? Is that sort of preinfusion chamber/mixing block? I'm assuming that's the brew water path.

Yeah. It's where the lever cam would be in a standard E61. The central recess at the back of it is where the end of the cam/lever shaft would normally locate. The other one would hold a screw that acts as a lock stop to stop the cam from rotating any further.

The threaded stud you can see is the other end of the aforementioned stainless bolt.

If you look at the top right wall of the chamber you can see the hole that Kees has added to the group which is where the brew water comes in .And directly opposite that, the hole where the brew water exits to the head.
JankSolid

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso