KvdW Mirage Complete Overhaul

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

KvdW Mirage Complete Overhaul

Postby JankSolid » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 am

This has arrived for a complete strip down and rebuild. Should be interesting and different.

Machine looks like it's had a hard life...
Attachments
mirage02.jpg
mirage02.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 15767 times
Mirage 01.jpg
Mirage 01.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 15771 times
JankSolid

RE: KvdW Mirage Complete Overhaul

Postby lsjms » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I doubt Jank will bother to introduce himself :wink: so I will.

Jank is a SE London coffee machine guy and fellow backyard engineer, he has been helping out Dark Fluid and this is machine was bought(I say bought but hustled might be more appropriate!) by Chris, also a member here. I have seen a fair bit of Jank's work now and most of the machines come back looking newer than they left the factory. Weird but true. If anyone needs a service I recommend a PM.

I bench tested this machine the other day, as stated it's been really hammered, probably a kilo of coffee and hot choc in the frame. It steams like a monster and the foot pedal is the coolest thing ever. Fun was had till it blew the safety valve, never seen this before, it's dramatic and nearly killed coffeehits PC!. The HX loop is funky to say the least, flowmeters on cold side and it brews with water from the hot and cold side of the thermosyphon, I think. Hopefully Jank will explain the full workings soon. Kees has been very helpful in supporting the restoration.

Side panels and gas, gas, gas!
http://twitpic.com/5pnk7w

Plenty photos please mate
lsjms

Postby ChrisD » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Is this the same Mirage as was on ebay last week? Must admit I looked at it more than once :wink:
ChrisD

Postby lsjms » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Yep, me too. Kudos to Chris who looked only once, then made an offer anyone could refuse.
lsjms

Postby ChrisD » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Based on those photos, it's probably a good job I only looked! Otherwise I'd currently be sitting shell shocked and wondering what I had got myself into :lol:
ChrisD

Postby Skippy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice to hear a beautiful machine is going to be restored and used properly
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby JankSolid » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Ha! Thanks for the intro and big-up LS :lol:

I'm just giving the Mirage a wipe down with a soapy sponge so I don't get sticky fingers whilst working (like last weeks stinky Spaziale - separate thread to follow).

I will be stripping the body work off this evening so I can have a good look round the machine and meditate on the rebuild.

Looks like at least the groups, steamers and water spout have to come off before the all-in-one stainless body will slide off.

It certainly is an unusual design in that respect. You can't just pop off the body and be left with a naked machine like with most others. Parts of the chassis are visible outside the box and are used as part of the styling.

More pics to follow...
Anyone know how to get bigger pictures on here?

BTW, for those who don't know, 'lsjms' is a coffee roaster extraordinaire and jointly responsible for Neil le Bihan's 2nd place and Best Cappuccino at this years UKBC 8)
Last edited by JankSolid on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 pm

First thing you notice about these modified E61 groups is the third hole in the back.

Standard E61's exhaust through a valve in the lower section and out to the drip tray whereas these vent through a hole bored through the back of what would normally be the lever cam chamber then on through a solenoid to the waste pipe.

Wrong. Or at least partially wrong. I'm just beginning to realise that this machine contains some funky concepts that are not 100% clear to me as yet...
Attachments
Mirage edit.jpg
Mirage edit.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 15677 times
Last edited by JankSolid on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JankSolid

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 pm

JankSolid wrote:More pics to follow...
Anyone know how to get bigger pictures on here?

WOW! Wonderful thread, wonderful work and welcome JankSolid!

Unfortunately, you cannot put larger pictures up here (or more accurately, you can, but the mods will have to reduce them in size because of the mechanics of the forum software). You can put the pictures up on another site and then attach them here as a URL, but that is also a problem because they then throw off the line length and make horizontal scrolling necessary. I can help you reduce pictures to fit here if that is what you want to do or you can put the pictures up somewhere else and just link to them from here. PM me if you think I can be of any help to you. We would LOVE to see more pictures of your work. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JankSolid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 pm

With the bodywork off (in 2 main sections [front and rear] plus 2 top sections and a plate on the bottom) and the groups and taps removed the Mirage was still too heavy to lift on to my bench.

Draining the boiler has brought it in to my lifting range so I'll be able to get a better look round it and get down to some serious work today.
Attachments
075.jpg
075.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 15616 times
074.jpg
074.jpg (123.97 KiB) Viewed 15616 times
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Meanwhile, here are some photos for your entertainment...
Attachments
025.jpg
025.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
023.jpg
023.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
019.jpg
019.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
JankSolid

Postby JankSolid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Attachments
071.jpg
071.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 15612 times
JankSolid

Postby icke » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 am

great pictures!

quite amazing but through all the gunk one can still see kees' extraordinary work shining through.
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome to TMC JankSolid and thank you for taking the time to document the strip down of this beautiful machine for us. 8) :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby JankSolid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks.

A couple of concepts were confusing me but a bit of head-scratching sorted that out.

a: A standard E61 group has a valve (5) separating the top section (3 - where the thermosyphon is circulating) from the central chamber (14). Whan you lift the lever the valve opens and allows water in to the centre where pump pressure on the HX/thermosyphon loop pushes it through to the head.

On this machine the top section and middle chamber are blocked off from each other. A water feed is taken from the upper thermosyphon pipe, through a solenoid and in to the back of the central chamber. A neat way of replacing the E61's valve/mushroom gubbins with a solenoid 8) .

b: I couldn't see how this was right

It looked like the pipe to one of the flowmeters (the connections on the left of the square section brass block) was fed from the waste pipe. Until I realised that the block is hollow and a very clever and neat way of packaging water feeds, non-return valve and expansion valve in to as small a space as possible. I like it!

(I since found out this is from a Magister. Thanks to lsjms for noting that)
Last edited by JankSolid on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JankSolid

Next

Return to Espresso