Expobar single boiler - pid kit?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Expobar single boiler - pid kit?

Postby Louiscar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm finally considering upgrading from my trusty ms Silvia to an Expobar leva (single boiler version).

Ideally I'd like to have a pid and the newer dual boiler version is attractive for that reason, I don't think I can stretch the budget that far so I'm wondering if anyone has the single and found a pid kit for it.

I am guessing it's not as simple a mod as on the Silvia but if possible I'd like to have the option to fit one at a later date.

Having said that any existing owners that can tell me what their experience of this machine's temp control is like, perhaps it's good enough not to worry that much about it.

The alternative I guess is to wait till I can chuck in the extra 200 quid and get the dual boiler version.

Grateful for any guidance.
Louiscar

Postby dwalsh1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:58 pm

My two pennies worth. I had an Expobar Leva. Not sure about the temp control though. I just learnt to do a cooling flush and it was ready to go. Other than that a great machine.
dwalsh1

Postby Bombus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

I've had mine for a couple of years now and the temperature is difficult to control as you have to take into account how long you've had the machine on for when flushing. I got frustrated and wanted to know what it was up to so I bought a E61 grouphead thermometer from Chris Coffee over in America. Pretty pricey (as you have the extra bonus of import tax) considering how simple it is but it lets me know what's going on and shots have massively improved and it's one less variable to worry about. I don't know if anyone is stocking them over here now, tho I guess probably not, but a more skilled individual than myself might be able to knock one up. If you're interested I think you could probably find more on either Chris Coffee or home barista.
Expobar Office Leva/Mahlkönig Vario/Golden Reg Barber/Motta jug/Vietnamese drip/Moka Pot/Bumblebees
Bombus

Return to Espresso