Upgrade Time : But which way?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Upgrade Time : But which way?

Postby pringtef » Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 am

Five happy years with a Silvia (the latter three with a PID) and Rocky have gone by, and i feel the time's right for a step up. Just how is the thing.

I've got a budget of around up to 1700 euros to spend. For a while i've been looking at the Domobar Junior though my eye has also been drawn to the Domobar Super. However, i've also been reading a lot of positives about the Rocket Giotto. To confuse myself even more, my mind also suggested to me that maybe it's an idea to go to something like the standard Domobar or Rocket Cellini and combine it with a Mazzer Mini e / macap M4d.

I'll mostly be making espresso's and latte's / won't be needing to plumb into the water mains, and basically want to get the best return out of that type of budget. Any help or recommendations on selection would be very appreciated!
pringtef

RE: Upgrade Time : But which way?

Postby Chris » Mon May 16, 2011 8:11 am

Hello, nice situation to be in ;o) Have you thought about going for a used super jolly rather than a new mazzer mini? Should save you a couple of hundred and you'll get an excellent grinder.
Chris

Postby pringtef » Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Chris, that sounds like a good suggestion. Doing some perusing now.
pringtef

Postby sicinius » Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 am

The Eureka Mignon is cheaper than and rated higher than the bottom of the range Mazzers in Italy, looks better, fits on top of a worktop and under shelving, has a better hopper and adjustment mechanism and grinds the coffee just as well.

Sez I, anyway. I'll put me tin hat on, right now.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby daveyb » Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 pm

I would agree that the Eureka is an exceellent choice and not much seen or loved by UK coffee afficianados! This is odd because if you get the chance to polay with one you will be VERY surprised at just how good it is.
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby pringtef » Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 am

Also doing some perusing now of the Eureka. Having spent the best part of the weekend studying and reading up on grinders and options, i'm very much leaning towards going the extra distance on the grinder.

That's a quest in itself. So far on the list :-

2nd hand Jolly
Eureka
Mazzer Elec
MacCap MD4

The Fiorenzato F64 E has also been mentioned to me as worthy of an investment.
pringtef

Postby pringtef » Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 am

The grinder equation now solved. Found a second hand Jolly on one of our local online market places later yesterday afternoon, and got it for €175 :D . Needed a bit of a clean, but now it's sparkling and looking great. Build standard seems very high. Solid, and every single component of the grinder looks easily replaceable, timer, portafilter rest, doser perspex etc.

Onto the actual grinding today after work.
pringtef

Postby GreenBean » Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 pm

pringtef wrote:The grinder equation now solved. Found a second hand Jolly on one of our local online market places later yesterday afternoon, and got it for €175 :D . Needed a bit of a clean, but now it's sparkling and looking great. Build standard seems very high. Solid, and every single component of the grinder looks easily replaceable, timer, portafilter rest, doser perspex etc.

Onto the actual grinding today after work.

I am sure you will be very happy with it. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 am

Hey Pringtef, how are you getting on with that Super Jolly? Are you still using it with your Silvia or did you get a new machine too?
Chris

Postby lsjms » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Janksolid (forum member and coffee fixit guy) can sell you a black box with a plug on one end and socket on the other, which will turn any manual grinder into an 'E' version, timed grind to 1/10th sec. I use one on my old Super Jolly and it's awesome.
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

lsjms wrote:Janksolid (forum member and coffee fixit guy) can sell you a black box with a plug on one end and socket on the other, which will turn any manual grinder into an 'E' version, timed grind to 1/10th sec. I use one on my old Super Jolly and it's awesome.

Sounds like a great little box. What sort of money are they?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 pm

120 I think ( I traded mine) which is ok seen as those cma digital timers are £80 and people charge £200 odd to do this to an anfim
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Not cheap then, but comparatively okay as you say.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am

I think it's absolutely ridiculous what people charge for adding what is effectively a timed relay.

Good luck with the SJ:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby lsjms » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Are you talking about the guys charging £200 to modify a grinder or the far higher cost of the 'e' version of grinders from a variety of manufacturers?
lsjms

Next

Return to Espresso