new basket filters...?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

new basket filters...?

Postby icke » Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 am

i know, i know, the machine is not that important :) but what about the pf basket? i read on coffeegeek that it's role in the extraction process seemingly has been underated and now that vst/lm has come out with a new 'perfect' basket, the extraction improvements seem to be vast...

i had a look at the vst site but shipping cost of 75$ for a 25$ item is just a tad to much for me...

if anybody else might be interested we can perhaps share the horrendous shipping cost?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Viernes » Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 am

whats vst?

Anyway, drop them an email asking for USPS shipment instead of an express courier.
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby icke » Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am

oton wrote:whats vst?

http://vstapps.com/store/vst-precision-filter-baskets/

these baskets are not ready for shipping yet anyway, so they may be able to integrate some other shipper into their site by the time they get the baskets ready in numbers...
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby icke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 pm

they seem to be available from a european source:
http://www.nuova-ricambi.de/shop/de/La-Marzocco/Siebe

shipping to france or the uk is just about 16€ - slightly more reasonable than 75$ :)
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Aadje » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 am

I want one!

But which, the 14 or the 17? tricky . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby icke » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:52 am

Aadje wrote:I want one!

But which, the 14 or the 17? tricky . . .

the 14g baskets are not in stock yet but i will order three anyway: 14, 17 and 21g :)
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Aadje » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 am

I only make and drink doubles/cappa's. I probably have to buy both and find out which suits my needs . . .

Not in stock? Nuova Ricambi.de claims to have them and that they will be delivered in 2 weeks.

edit: the 17 gram basket will be delivered in 3 days . . . so Icke, you are right, they don't have it in stock . . srry
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby icke » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 am

i received an email from the owner this morning. he expects delivery of the 14g and 7g baskets early july, hence the 2 weeks delivery note.

i haven't ordered yet as he is trying to source new grinder burrs for my nino too.
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby double_shot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 pm

How did your experience of the new VST Precision Ridgeless Filter Baskets workout?

For anyone is interested the data-sheet is available here VST Info PDF

Visit the VST Website $29 USD.

Available in the UK from Square Mile and Hasbean the cost is around £20 - £23.50.

Hasbean Features Info...

VST's new precision filters deliver consistent extraction performance over a wide range of concentration with reduced sediment

Designed to extract properly as a ristretto, normale or lungo with minimal or no change in grind setting at a fixed dose

Filters are matched for total square area to +/- 5% to ensure identical performance

(typical variances of standard filters range from 50-200% of nominal)

All VST Filters are warrantied for ONE-YEAR and for ZERO DEFECTS

Holes are fabricated using a new micro-machine and finishing process

100% of holes are measured on every filter for min/max range limits on area and diameter to a precision of +/- 30 µm (Unique QC report provided with every filter)

All holes are measured for circularity, placement, square area and blocked holes

Hole pattern is centered to +/- 1.0 mm and placement is oriented for uniform extraction throughout the entire puck

Wide outlet angle to prevent filters from clogging, anti-wear design ensures uniform performance for life of product

Improved structural integrity, will withstand deflection from pump cycling without premature fatigue failures (see VST Warranty)
double_shot

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Bumping a very old thread here. Has anyone tried these? There is plenty written about them around the internet, including a superb explanation by James Hoffmann, who always seems to make sense of things and talk about them clearly.

In short, James explains (I hope that I paraphrase this accurately, sorry James) that traditional Italian double baskets were designed for a 14g dose but could physically hold more. So called third wave baristas used the top of the basket as a way of easily measuring a consistent and repeatable dose, and thus updosed. The downside of updosing is that the flavour profile is altered, but the upside is often a more intense shot.

The idea of the VST/Strada/new LM (more in a minute) is that it is possible to produce an 18g (or what was updosed in the past) shot in the relevant basket that has the same flavour profile as a standard 14g but retains the additional intensity. Accordingly, all the various sized baskets retain the intended flavour profile of the coffee without the volume produced altering it. Not well put by me, but the basic gist, and explained far better in numerous internet locations.

So here is the question. The retention of the intended flavour profile has been resolved, but what about measuring to the top of the basket? Does anyone know if that is roughly the correct dose for the basket in use or if scales are now required in order not to overfill?

Our Anna is always updosed to 20g in her double basket by levelling and tamping. A 20g VST would be great in order to seek the ideal flavour extraction as long as scales were not necessary every shot to dose 20g.

Back to the VST/Strada/New LM thing. Most know that the VST and LM Strada baskets are basically the same as they collaberated in the production of the baskets, that both are scanned for consistency and provide QC reports. I believe the new LM baskets (as sold in the UK by CoffeeHit and others) are also the same but just have not been individually imaged and come with no QC report. Is that basically it?

Any user experiences?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I have both the 20g and 18g (well it is sold as 18g but says 17g on the basket so not sure which is is). I have used both, but mostly the 18g one mainly as it suffers less from channelling from some reason.
From what I understand the baskets are designed to give you the correct clearance to the showerscreen for the given dose of the basket and that you can go +/-1g safely. I would still use scales to make sure you get consistency, though I find for most beans that I get the same amount by weighing 18g that I would by filling and levelling. However if you use high density beans you would get rather more weight by levelling, but then I find that I updose those beans a bit anyway about 1g. I reckon you would be OK with just fill distribute and level, but don't be lazy, get some scales! :lol:

I believe you are correct about the VST to LM comparison, the LM ones do not go through as thorough a check.

I can say that I get far better consistency than with previous baskets I have used, particularly when running restricted shots, no more slow drip then gush at the end.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Top stuff Simon, thank you. Nowhere on the internet could we find confirmation of that. Do you know if the same can be said of the 20g, as in levelling is actually 20g (subject to bean mass)? It seems most people like the 18g the best. It is probably the one to go for then as our 20g was only nominal anyway borne of convenience and an unknown quantity until we actually weighed it!

I can shed light on the LM being marked 14 and the VST 15, then 17 and 18 respectively. Apparently it is because LM use the traditional Italian measurements whilst VST mark the maximum quantity. They are the same as you said.

Not sure we could cope with weighing per shot ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Any recommendations for scales?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:02 pm

From what I read (it was an article by the VST guy, can't remember where it was) the same idea applies to all the baskets regarding fill level.

If you like your shots in the ristretto style then the 20g ne will give you a nice full double size one.

As for scales, I got these http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/pocke ... -200g-001g as I happened to be ordering some beans etc, but I think any similar ones will do.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Nice, thanks Simon :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Espresso