Gaggia Baby Classic stopped working - repair?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Baby Classic stopped working - repair?

Postby MarkW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 am

As above, my 3 year old baby classic stopped working this morning. Nothing happens apart from a click when pressing the water button (there is still power as lights are on). Guess this could be the water pump?

I see Happy Donkey sell replacement pumps, is this a common fault and likely to be worth trying to replace?

I dont really want to send it off for an expensive repair, or buy a new machine unless I have to but I NEED MY COFFEE!!

Any suggestions?
MarkW

RE: Gaggia Baby Classic stopped working - repair?

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

To make sure it is the pump you will need to pull the mains plug (!) open the machine up and inspect all of the electrical connections. If they look to be in order you can disconnect the electrical connections to the pump. Then connect a mains cable directly to the pump and plug it in, remembering that 240VAC does not just bite, but can be fatal. If the pump runs it is not the problem, if it doesn't you can replace it. These pumps do fail after awhile. Sometimes they look swollen because moisture has gotten into the windings and cause an internal short circuit that eventually causes a break in the windings.

If you are not comfortable in dealing with mains current it is better to take it to an electrician and have him do the above. It will be cheaper, faster and simpler than sending the machine to a shop.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby MarkW » Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering a new pump and after several hours and much cursing it is fitted and is running.

However, it is not working correctly as it takes a long time for and liquid to appear (20 secs, where it was a lot less before) and also it is not extracting properly as the coffee is coming out thin and watery.

The pump is also noiser than before even though it is correctly mounted in its rubber mounts.

Short of taking it apart again and re-checking everything (for about the 5th time) are there any suggestions as to what this might be?

I don't really want to invest in a new machine if I can still get this one working.

Thanks
MarkW

Return to Espresso