Espresso Machines, Technology, Luddites & Ascetism

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Yesterday I promised myself to read this thread today, but now I've lost track of it . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm

This isn't just a thread, it's a whole screw. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby geedee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Barbarella and screw in the same thread ... hmmm. Where are the moderators when you need them? 8)
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby GreenBean » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Aadje wrote:Yesterday I promised myself to read this thread today, but now I've lost track of it . . .

If you read a TMC thread, any TMC thread, looking for a reasoned logical argument weaving it's way through the posts of the thread to a clear conclusion you are likely be disappointed. :wink: I consider it a significant part of the charm of TMC. :D

On the issue of the application of new technology and Luddites I believe that there is very little difference between the views expressed. Everyone who has expressed an opinion has admitted to some Luddite tendencies. I believe that our views are now, and were originally, very closely aligned. We appreciate new technology where we see a clear benefit from it's use but despair at it's use in situations where it is not beneficial or counterproductive.

We seem to differ irreconcilably on the specific issue of where new technology is beneficial, especially in the case of the espresso machine. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 pm

geedee wrote:Is it just me that notices the recurrent themes on TMC ... just wait, it will be c**s next ... :roll:

Thanks for that geedee, I thought you were on my side!:D I have tried to steer discussions to any subject but c**s and you go and spoil it. :( :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:16 pm

I completely agree with my good friend GB that we truly do not agree on all things. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 pm

That sounds agreeable, but I beg to differ . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby GreenBean » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 pm

bruceb wrote:I completely agree with my good friend GB that we truly do not agree on all things. 8)

Aadje wrote:That sounds agreeable, but I beg to differ . . .

When people agree it is usually because they have misunderstood the argument. :wink: :D

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:35 pm

GreenBean wrote:
bruceb wrote:I completely agree with my good friend GB that we truly do not agree on all things. 8)

Aadje wrote:That sounds agreeable, but I beg to differ . . .

When people agree it is usually because they have misunderstood the argument. :wink: :D

Well, that's not the way I see it. :P
bruceb

Postby dwalsh1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I think this thread has been flogged to death. Yawn
dwalsh1

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Well then, how about a post about coffee. I'm still drinking my monsooned malabar, none of my machinery is broken and my mind is obviously blank. Maybe someone else has something that will please those who are bored with this nonsense.
bruceb

Postby geedee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 am

I stayed with this thread because being a Luddite means I am against change
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:27 am

A new heating installation: 10k€. Watching a radiator burst dispensing 200L brackish water on the rug along the way: priceless.

On totally unrelated news, the ceramic-fiber-insulation-paper for the Quest is due to arrive soon and will totally increase the quality of my brazil roasts and might even reduce electricity costs for roasting.

Hm ... electricity ... I'm gonna strip that stuff out, build a crank for it and put it on top of the barbecue! Too much technology all over the place!1!!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

geedee wrote:I stayed with this thread because being a Luddite means I am against change

Me too. The good news is that those who are bored do not have to read all this nonsense,:wink: they can do what I do and select the topics, threads, posts and posters they wish to read. :D

lukas wrote:A new heating installation: 10k€. Watching a radiator burst dispensing 200L brackish water on the rug along the way: priceless.

I hope that this disaster is not in your house Lukas.:?

lukas wrote:On totally unrelated news, the ceramic-fiber-insulation-paper for the Quest is due to arrive soon and will totally increase the quality of my brazil roasts and might even reduce electricity costs for roasting.

High hopes for a high tech ceramic-fiber-insulation. :wink:

lukas wrote:Hm ... electricity ... I'm gonna strip that stuff out, build a crank for it and put it on top of the barbecue! Too much technology all over the place!1!!

I am not impressed. A true Luddite would be using a frying pan. :wink: :D

GreenBean

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:08 pm

GreenBean wrote:
lukas wrote:A new heating installation: 10k€. Watching a radiator burst dispensing 200L brackish water on the rug along the way: priceless.

I hope that this disaster is not in your house Lukas.:?

Where else? It wouldn't be funny otherwise wouldn't it? ;)
Luckily, apart from the radiator itself, the damage is insurance covered.
GreenBean wrote:
lukas wrote:On totally unrelated news, the ceramic-fiber-insulation-paper for the Quest is due to arrive soon and will totally increase the quality of my brazil roasts and might even reduce electricity costs for roasting.

High hopes for a high tech ceramic-fiber-insulation. :wink:

Hey! It feels woven! It has to be ceramic sheep fiber wool!

Maybe I'll use my old stove-top roaster again when I have an oven to put it on. It can do up to 500g per roast, whereas I'm at 200g with the quest!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso