Espresso Machines, Technology, Luddites & Ascetism

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Espresso Machines, Technology, Luddites & Ascetism

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 pm

[Mod's edit. Split from EricC's GS3 For sale thread]

Man, the last thing in the world I need is an espresso machine with firmware, software or an Ethernet or USB connection. "I'm sorry sir, your coffee tastes weird because our machine has a virus."
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CrimsonScythe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Even worse would be when it inevitably develops a consciousness, and probably a rather sarcastic and snarky one at that. Before you know it, the espresso machine will be twittering stuff like "Oh my, Mr. Look-at-my-fancy-espresso-machine managed to ruin yet another shot. If he only got a grinder of my caliber..." or "My captor still haven't realized what bodily fluid of mine he's drinking every day..."

I really should stop anthropomorphizing household appliances...
CrimsonScythe

Postby EricC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 am

bruceb wrote:Man, the last thing in the world I need is an espresso machine with firmware, software or an Ethernet or USB connection. "I'm sorry sir, your coffee tastes weird because our machine has a virus."

Hi Bruce,

Only Firmware and Software, no Ethernet or USB sadly, which would be handy for the updating. :wink:

I understand where you are coming from, and always keep a box of tissues and Paracetamol next to my machine. :lol:

All the Best
Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby EricC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 am

CrimsonScythe wrote:I really should stop anthropomorphizing household appliances...

You really should stop reading all of those Sci-Fi books Thomas.

BUT : You never know what could happen :!: :!: :!:

All the Best
Eric
EricC

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 am

If you want an USB connection, get yourself a Dalla Corte . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 am

Just out of morbid curiosity I have been wondering how one updates.

5-1/4" floppy?
Infrared?
Type the code in by keyboard?
UV Flash?
Bluetooth?
WiLan?

Or do you just get a package of pre-ground "V. 1.3.7 Flash Beans" and run 'em through? I can see the message now:

Please do not turn off pump while upgrading firmware!

"OH NO! I've bricked my espresso machine!" :shock: :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Aadje wrote:If you want an USB connection, get yourself a Dalla Corte . . .

Nah, has to be an internet connected Jura F90...
Yeah, maybe not :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 pm

OH NO! I've bricked my espresso machine!

Maybe you can hack your GS3 into a Speedster that way . . . or a Synesso for that matter.

By the way, bricking your machine is not covered by the factory warranty.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't even dare to flash my e-reader with better software, although it costed only 10% what a GS3 costs . . .

And something else:

Undoubtedly the the GS3 is an awesome machine and it ranks with the greatest and I don't want to discredit it in any way, but am I the only one who strikes it as odd that you pay such an amount of money for something and something (in my mind) as trivial as upgrading the firmware is that complex. Shouldn't it be LM's job (or plight if you will) to somehow facilitate this? Of do they do that already?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Well, I was being facetious about the floppy and the Infrared, but by comparison they are far more desirable than this hideous cludge. I can only assume that they sell these machines to commercial users and send their service technician around to look after them. In that case this is an affront to the technician, however it may be that they just exchange the chip or the whole board under those circumstances. I am by no means a Luddite, but in my opinion this tendency to put a microchip controller into every piece of equipment down to a toilet paper roller is exactly what we don't need. I don't even want a microchip controller or computer in my electron microscope much less in my espresso machine.

Disgusted from Antrifttal Image
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:41 pm

You don't want to hear about the EFI on my bike then! :S
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby EricC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am

Aadje wrote:Shouldn't it be LM's job (or plight if you will) to somehow facilitate this? Of do they do that already?

They will do it if you pay their distributor to do it. I don't think any manufacturer would do it for free and it is extremely generous of La Marzocco to provide this update free of charge should the owner wish to avail themselves of it.

Kind Regards
Eric
EricC

Postby EricC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:59 am

bruceb wrote:Well, I was being facetious about the floppy and the Infrared,

Yes, that was obvious, and i refer you to my answer above. :) :wink:
EricC

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:33 am

bruceb wrote:Well, I was being facetious about the floppy and the Infrared, but by comparison they are far more desirable than this hideous cludge. I can only assume that they sell these machines to commercial users and send their service technician around to look after them. In that case this is an affront to the technician, however it may be that they just exchange the chip or the whole board under those circumstances. I am by no means a Luddite, but in my opinion this tendency to put a microchip controller into every piece of equipment down to a toilet paper roller is exactly what we don't need. I don't even want a microchip controller or computer in my electron microscope much less in my espresso machine.

Disgusted from Antrifttal Image

From Wikipedia:
In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general.

bruceb wrote:I am by no means a Luddite....
:?: :?: :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:59 am

OK, OK, I will defend myself since no one else is going to. : Image

I am NOT opposed to "computerisation in general."

I am only against it in uses that are wholly unnecessary and serve no one but the computer industry. I love the computers in my computers. Without them the computers would not work and I could not express my wholly objective opinions to the world.

I don't need digital electronics in a microscope, an espresso machine or a motorbike. When Dom's fuel injection stops working in the middle of the Massif Central (or the middle of Birmingham) he'll wish it didn't need an update.

Luddites didn't want industrialisation (no mention of computerisation, btw) because it put men out of work. I certainly don't want to work, so my motivation is quite different. Image
bruceb

Next

Return to Espresso