Used Gaggia Classic - Faults

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Used Gaggia Classic - Faults

Postby james10 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi

I was recently given a used Gaggia Classic, which is working...just.
Espresso would come out very slowly and the steam wand doesn't work/pressure has gone.

Clearly the machine needs a thorough service, but is this something that I can do myself? I am fairly competent when it comes to repairing stuff, but have never touched an espresso machine before.
From the very brief and vague diagnosis, what would you say is wrong and needs to be replaced?

Also, at a guesstimate, how much do you think the neccessary bits would cost?

Kind Regards
james10

RE: Used Gaggia Classic - Faults

Postby DrTom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Hello James,

Yes this is something that you can have a go at yourself!

It sounds like a possible scale issue - and as you still have (some!) water flow through the head, this makes it a bit easier.

Get some de-scaler product - I think you can pick some up at happydonkey.co.uk, although I was able to pick some up at my local kitchenware shop. Run that through your machine, it should improve your flow somewhat if it came from a hard water area. (you can also use lemon juice if you are pushed for product - I have done this before and was very happy!)

When you have the de-scaler fluid in the machine, be sure to run some through your steam wand.

If this fails, you may want to get further into the machine and look at this thread: http://toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=8064

As for the steam wand, it may well be clogged up. Take off the black steam wand (the black collar at the top is threaded, undo the threaded collar and the steam wand should just slip off). Get a straightened paperclip or a pipe cleaner and clear the inside of the steam wand. Failing that, you can remove the steam wand - that's a little more involved - come back if it comes to this!! I hope the descale will sort both of these.

Good luck!!
DrTom

Return to Espresso