Rocky scrapey noise

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Rocky scrapey noise

Postby Hipponax » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I use the rocky about 10 times a day at home and have it dialled to about 2 clicks above where the burrs would scrape - what ive noticed more recently however is that unless i apply pressure at the front of the hopper housing, the front bit of the burrs will touch when spinning almost like the upper burr is on a slant - ive taken them out and put them back in again but to no avail in order to get an smooth grind

any ideas?
:shock: :?:
ECM Raffaelo A2 Classic I
Rocky Rancilio I Reg Barber Concave I
BRITA on mains filtration I
a small kitchen I
a very very very understanding fiancee
Hipponax

RE: Rocky scrapey noise

Postby Hipponax » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I am looking at replacing my burrs but would not know when to do so - can anyone advise please?

For those wondering - ive had a troll through all the reviews deliberately looking at poor ones for rocky and several suggest that the hopper which is on top of the burrs by being bolted on can worsen an apparent camber eg if you look into your burrs from above you you will find that they tip down towards 6 oclock - this can be corrected by pushing the hopper back a bit but defeats the whole hands off approach to the grinder.
a small kitchen I
Hipponax

RE: Rocky scrapey noise

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 pm

As to when to change the burrs, you can take them out, look at them, feel them. If they look and feel sharp chances are they are not too bad. Aside from a microscopic examination it is very difficult to tell otherwise. New burrs certainly never hurt, but if you are having trouble with the grinder (sorry, I'm not really familiar with the Rocky) I wouldn't suggest putting new burrs in until you get the problem solved. If for some reason the burr carrier is out of line or the bearings are worn out you will ruin the new burrs, too. Do you see signs of wear on any parts or places where something is rubbing? Is anything loose? Do the bearings feel smooth and free of play?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Jurgen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Would this be of any help?

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4635

Maybe you could check if the part that holds the lower burr is still
in the right place and properly held by the housing....

J.
Vibiemme Domobar, Rancilio Rocky SD, various brands of fresh beans from Umbria...
Jurgen

Postby Hipponax » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Ive discovered that apparently there is a lot of play in the threads on rocky machines and that ? teflon tape might be the answer - if someones got a mazzer mini going id stil rather do that

see what you think here?

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/g ... 203#353203
a small kitchen I
Hipponax

Postby bruceb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

If you can upgrade, do it. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you don't want to pay the price for a new Mazzer, keep an eye on e-bay for a used commercial grinder. You'll save lots of money and probably won't have to ever upgrade again.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby geedee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Bruce is right, I bought a Macap 7 just 2 years ago on Fleabay for £250.00
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:10 pm

geedee wrote:Bruce is right, I bought a Macap 7 just 2 years ago on Fleabay for £250.00

I concur.
I'm delighted with my second hand SJ; you will never need to change it again!
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 am

Indeed, our $1 SJ is great :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 am

The teflon tape trick does work to some extent. I used it on both of my Rockies before getting my money back and spending it on a doser mini. The difference in build quality is vast...
phil2spill

Return to Espresso