Newbie Advice

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Newbie Advice

Postby james10 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi

I've been browsing numerous forums over the past couple of weeks and decided to join TMC.

My situation:

Recently been introduced to the world of domestic espresso's (3 months ago) and initially purchased a DeLonghi EC330S.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-EC330S ... B000C3MLJS

Whilst the machine is perfectly OK, I'm developed an itch to upgrade as the steam wand is very average and I cannot make any type of respectable microfoam.

For the upgrade, I was initially looking at the Rancilio Silvia and found this advert, but got no response do date:

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=8793

With that in mind and also the fact there aren't an abundance of used Silvia's on the market right now, I've been looking at the Gaggia Classic, which receives good reviews across the board and for the money, would be hard pushed to find a better value machine.
I fully appreciate that the Rancilio is the better machine, but for the money I would save I can get a decent grinder.

I know the first investment should be a decent grinder, but I don't want to hark on about that, because theres loads of TMC posts that I have read and taken note on.

I guess another question in my mind:
Hypothetically:

If I had the setup of

Delonghi Machine
Gaggia grinder
'X' Coffee bean

Would I notice a difference if I were to have a Rancilio or Classic in that equation, instead of the Delonghi?

P.S. I was recommended to look at used Gaggia Classics on ebay...any thoughts? Good idea / bad idea?

Kind Regards

James
james10

RE: Newbie Advice

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Welcome to TMC James :D

The short answer is yes, though both the Silvia and Classic will require temperature surfing in order to stabilise the boiler for shots/steaming as they are single boiler units. If buying new and your budget allows, or you can wait a while until it does, you may like to consider an HX (heat exchanger) or dual boiler machine which will offer greater stability. Most eventually end up there eventually and it may be financially worthwhile cutting out an upgrade layer if you are going 'all the way'.

There are some very good used deals out there of course, in which case it may be worth going for a Classic at the right price.

People with more experience of the Silvia/Classic will be along in a while and should be able to help you more than I can. Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Newbie Advice

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm

As you noted, a good grinder is the place to start. I don't know the DeLonghi machine so I can't really comment on your question. Probably the "X coffee bean" is the most important variable. If you don't have good, freshly roasted beans the kit is of little importance. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Welcome to the Nuthouse James.
Have you got a cat? :twisted: :lol:
orrinoconnor

Postby GreenBean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Welcome to TMC James. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso