Is Alex MK2 a good upgrade?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Is Alex MK2 a good upgrade?

Postby dwalsh1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 am

Hi Everyone
I have a dilemma. Having just sold my Expobar office Leva, I am now on the market for an upgrade. The machines I have in mind are the Izzo Alex MK2 and the commercial Elektra GL. I’m more than happy to purchase the Alex so long as I know it will be a significant upgrade to the Expobar. It is claimed to have (UK Spec) a 2 litre boiler and a 1500w element unlike the 1.5 litre boiler and 1200w element that was on the Expobar. I do mainly milk based drinks so steam is important and I don’t want to spend an eternity under the steam wand if you get my drift. The Alex is around £700 cheaper than the Elektra so there would be a huge saving but having said that I don’t want to buy something and a year later regret it. The Elektra speaks for its self. I don’t care too much for the Duetto because I am used to cooling flushes on the Expobar so that’s why it’s not on my short list. Thanks for reading. Your thoughts please.
Dennis
dwalsh1

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:38 pm

No takers on this thread? Perhaps a Duetto is the order of the day.
dwalsh1

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Sorry Dennis, I don't think people are deliberately not taking part in the thread. I'm not sure there are many/any Alex Mk2 owners on the forum. I know the Alex has received some good reviews in many quarters of the internet. Perhaps there is a supplier near enough that you could ask if they have a demo machine available?

I totally understand your concern to buy the right thing. It's quite a worry when looking for a machine. I hope you are able to find help. Sorry for not being able to offer any real help.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 pm

I somehow missed this thread, sorry. In my opinion, the Elektra is in a different class than the other machines. It is a commercial machine with a 2200 watt element, enormous steaming power and excellent temperature stability. The design is certainly a matter of taste, but since you are considering it I presume you find it attractive. It is well worth the additional money if you don't mind spending that much.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm

OK thanks cakey/Bruce. Think the Elektra is slipping out of the equation. Why? because there doesn't seem to be UK support which makes me a tad edgy and been told that my household water pressure would need adjusting?
dwalsh1

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 pm

dwalsh1 wrote:Think the Elektra is slipping out of the equation. Why? because there doesn't seem to be UK support which makes me a tad edgy and been told that my household water pressure would need adjusting?

For UK support see here. I haven't had any experience with them, but they do have the machine in stock.

I can't imagine why it would be necessary to change the water pressure.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for that link Bruce. italiankitchenaids/coffeitalia will or would of been the people I would or might be buying from. I took the liberty of ringing the London number listed to ask about warranty issues and I'm immediately transferred to a call centre in Italy. The guy Marco was very helpful and said basically if anything needs attention I was to mail the problem to him so that's why I felt uneasy speaking to someone that's not UK based. The water pressure thing. A well known retailer of prosumer machines in the UK put the frighteners on me saying that commercial machines wasn't good for home water pressures. My intention were to plumb straight in after a softener. not sure if this person meant that the incoming pressure was to much or not enough pressure but I thought the machine being of commercial build would of sorted that problem for me?
dwalsh1

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Tom (dsc) has an Elektra. You might send him a PM and ask about his experience with service.

There is no difference between home water pressures and the water pressure in a café or restaurant. Many of us use commercial machines at home with no problem.
bruceb

Return to Espresso