Hasbean 'Jailbreak' Opinion's sought!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What is you opinion on Hasbean's "Jailbreak" espresso blend coffee.

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 pm

"Jailbreak" Yes I loved this! Please Comment /Why?
60%
"Jailbreak" It's not for me! Please Comment/Why?
40%

Total votes : 5

Hasbean 'Jailbreak' Opinion's sought!

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 pm

On hearing negative comments on Jailbreak I was wondering what the general thoughts an opinions are on this coffee blend.
orrinoconnor

RE: Hasbean

Postby DrTom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 pm

All of this is of course my own opinion, I have no amazing skill for cupping, I'm just a home user who loves espresso ;)

I have had a number of great shots of Jailbreak! It's well rounded and always gave beautiful crema. I was impressed by how forgiving it was, maybe the stars had aligned that weekend and the grind was just right, the age of the beans was right etc but it did seem to always come out brilliantly on the bottomless portafilter.

I must say though, the best I could get out of it was never going to be the best shot I ever had. I don't know what it was, maybe a lack of complexity in taste? (or MAYBE just my terrible barista skills... ;) )

It was a pleasure to prepare and drink, but it lost its appeal after a few.
DrTom

RE: Hasbean

Postby GeoffsCigars » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 pm

It's my everyday go-to blend. Does what it says on the tin - tasty and easy to work with. Roasts easily, not too picky about roast timing and makes great espresso. But it's also very forgiving and the roasted beans are great to give to friends as it's hard to make a bad cup with it.

I loved the MkI, but the current MkII is, imho, even better.
GeoffsCigars

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 pm

I was surprised to hear it called a ridiculous espresso in an earlier post.
Steve uses the terms very forgiving and tasty in all methods of brew.
To hear it called ridiculous would have put me of trying it so I really wanted to get other opinions!
orrinoconnor

Postby mankini » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 am

Try it for yourself... but for an espresso 'to lose appeal' after a few... thats not exactly a great endorsement ;)

Geoffs: you are referring to green beans that you roasted yourself? maybe then the way you roast your beans is different to the roasted bean bought directly from the supplier?
mankini

Postby DrTom » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 am

Ridiculous is a pretty broad descriptive! I wouldn't use ridiculous in my description of it..!

Certainly give it a go!! As an every day I would do it - the results are always good. I just like to try new stuff out and when you are presented with the extensive list at HasBean, it's difficult to go back to Jailbreak just in case there is an undiscovered monster just around the corner.
DrTom

Postby gregd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:51 pm

When I first tried it I didn't think it was that good, I found it quite challenging but I think this might have been my own fault due to lack of skill. I've had Jailbreak at home and in a shop (6/8 in Birmingham, its quite new) and really enjoy it. Get it right and it has some nice tastes, quite sweet and its got a good kick (by that I mean a bit of acidity)

Really like it as a capp, just tastes so smooth and a bit sweet, mix that with foam and its lovely.
gregd

Postby guy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:21 pm

FWIW I would ignore any comments on Jailbreak made before the last six weeks or so: the blend changed recently and in my opinion Jailbreak mk 2 is delicious and flexible and great while mk1 was a bit fussy and hard to deal with. The new blend is really excellent and well worth a try. Good value too.
guy

Postby DrTom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 am

I will have to re-visit!
DrTom

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:11 pm

I struggle to get a good shot from jailbreak, but thats much more down to my lack of skill than the blend!
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Return to Espresso