UK Barista Championship 2011

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

UK Coffee in Good Spirits 2011 Results:

1. Martin Ball, Costa Rica Coffee (Cardiff)
2. Richard Dixon-Teasdale, Coffee Aroma (Lincoln)
3. Victor Frankowski,

Congratulations to all, especially to TMCer Richard :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 pm

South West Heat Result:

1. Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood, Colonna & Small's, Bath (Also best signature drink, best espresso & best cappuccino)

2. Richard Dixon-Teasdale, Coffee Aroma, Lincoln

3. Ed Buston, Clinton Coffee, Bristol

Congratulations to all :). Two admirable results for Richard over the past few days, and a victory for Maxwell to go with the runner-up place a couple of days ago.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Jem_Bean » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 am

So, the Midlands heat was yesterday... was it yesterday? or today? i can't say i've slept much after 50 or so coffees to taste and 8 hours of judging!!

The day went really well, and it was a great pleasure for me as a newly annointed sensory judge (well done also to Glenn, the eagle-eyed tecchie). There were some exceptionally good drinks prepared throughout the day, details below.

Hayley Draper's Signature Drink - a seemingly random mix of espresso (Has Bean), lemongrass infusion and honey (from her own bees, in her own garden!) turned into an amazingly complex, fresh and lively intense little shot served in bee-engraved shot glasses. As if the zesty, lemony and refreshing drink wasn't enough she then asked the judges to add a shot of carbonated water to it and to stir. She said this would change the 'summer garden' flavour into an explosion of sherbert lemon, and by God if it didn't! After a day of coconut cream and banana and caramel creations i think every one of the sensory judges were literally blown away by this sig drink.

Andrew Carter's Espresso - a SO Sidamo, part of Operation Cherry Red, pulled tight and short. Unbelievable citrus (lemon, mandarin) and a weird cranberry-like fruitiness balanced by smooth chocolate, bringing a balanced yet highly exciting shot, imho better than anything we'd tasted that day.

Howard Barwick's Signature Drink - accompanying a great theme of 'enjoying coffee and cake in a coffee shop', Howard had previously served his capp with a slice of his mum's own ginger cake (Mum's recipe, Howard's baking skills). Fo his sig, he infused crystallised ginger and (i think) molasses or demerara sugar, which he combined with the espresso . He asked the judges to take a first sip, in which they would get the rich, bitter crema of the shot (sorry Howard, can't remember the components of your blend!). For the second sip the judges had to stir well, after which they'd get the rich, syrupy and spicy ginger cake flavour from the infusion and espresso. Again, the drink performed as advertised, surprising and pleasing all.

there were others that shone out as well, but i'll leave that to others to cover. Regardless, well done to Hayley (1st), Andrew (2nd) and Howard (3rd)

J
Jem_Bean

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Congratulations to all who took part and especially to the winners, Hayley, Andrew and Howard!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby HB18 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Thank-you Jem, nice to meet you yesterday - although I only now realise!

What a fantastic day - well done to everyone involved, especially the other competitors & judges. I think the guys from San Remo in particular did a fantastic job and deserve a special mention.

Just for reference my coffee was 60% Guatemala Antigua, St Nicholas Estate and 40% Rwanda Misozi Union Co-Op from Limini Coffee. Really moorish and unusual espresso - trouble is we may have to really stretch out what little of the greens are left (if any by then) if I do end up going to the semis!

Any idea what the current top scores are anyone? I've not really got any idea if I should start making plans for London!
HB18

Postby Glenn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks Jeremy

It's pretty nervous for the first few minutes but once you're in the zone you forget all about pre-match nerves and just focus on what's happening (as you well know)

The best part was being so close to the action (a techies role is to get right up close but not impede the barista in their routine) and to experience the sights and smells associated with the coffee making process.

It's surprising how you completely zone out from what's happening in the audience and even what the barista looks like (try picking them out of a lineup afterwards - unless you know them it would be pretty difficult - unless they showed you their hands - which we become very familiar with - watching their every move)

The hardest part for me was the post-performance analysis, where you explain to the baristas where they could improve. However, after all the scores and comments were reviewed I got such a buzz when the 3 people I gave feedback to gave me a hug or shook my hand and said they had so much fun and really appreciated the positive comments from the judges.

With 2 more heats to go this week (sadly I am not available to judge those) all competitors now have 'the wait' to contend with - before the announcement of whether or not they have made the cut to go through to the semis.

Keep those greens Howard, I reckon you are in with a chance depending on the scores from the next 2 heats.
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby Glenn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 pm

HB18 wrote:...I think the guys from San Remo in particular did a fantastic job and deserve a special mention...

I couldn't agree more. They are away for days at a time and put in some long hours to get the venues setup and broken down again - often with very strict timelines given by the venue managers
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 am

Sorry, been offline for a day or two. Congratulations to all involved. Thanks for the updates, sounds like everyone had a great time :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 am

After a day of coconut cream and banana and caramel creations

Given the fact that the heats are still running, is this sort of commentary not deeply unprofessional.
I feel for anyone whose plans involved turning up for heat still to run with caramel in a drink. The spring water worked for Phillips last year so I would have expected a load of water based drinks this year.
lsjms

Postby Jem_Bean » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 am

Sorry Isjms, and to anyone that took offence. I hadn't meant to criticise anyone's choice of sig drink, merely commenting on the fact that the sigs can really build up in the belly (anyone else who's been a sensoryjudge will know exactly what i mean!)

as it happens, all the sigs we tasted on the day had their own charm, with a lot of effort and practice going into all of them. Full kudos to anyone that can create a sig then pull it off in competition context, and still make it an enjoyable experience.

J
Jem_Bean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 am

A recap of the Midlands Heat Result:

1. Hayley Draper, The Window, Norwich (Also best espresso & equal best signature drink)

2. Andrew Carter, Freelance (Also best cappuccino)

3. Howard Barwick, Limini, Leeds (Also equal best signature drink)

Congratualtions all round :D

A link to a tv report on Hayley Draper's cafe. Very cool.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:58 am

Scottish Heat Result:

1. Megan Barker, Artisan Roast, Glasgow (Also best espresso & best cappuccino)

2. Jonathan Sharp, Kilimanjaro, Edinburgh (Also best signature drink)

3. Stuart Lee Archer, Pumphreys, Newcastle

Good to see two TMCers in the top three. Congratulations to all :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am

The final regional heat of the year, the Northern Heat, takes places this Thursday and Friday, 14th-15th February in Lancaster, with some very strong contenders, including Neil LeBihan of Exchange Coffee and TMCer Dale Harris of Has Bean Coffee. Should be a good competition.

Once all that is over, all the scores will be totted up and the highest scorers added to the regional champions going forward to the UKBC 2011 in London on Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 16th March.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Northern Heat Result:

1. Dale Harris, Has Bean Coffee (Also best espresso)

2. Neil LeBihan, Exchange Coffee (Also best cappuccino)

3. Luke Byrne-Perkins, Bold Street Coffee, Liverpool

Best Signature Drink: Caspar Steel, J Atkinson & Co

Congratulations to all, especially TMCer, Dale Harris of Has Bean Coffee :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby HB18 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Seen as I spent most of last evening yelling - "will someone please post the scores!" I thought I'd better post them now I've found them out!

1st Maxwell Colonna - Dashwood 656.5
2nd Hayley Draper 636
3rd Will Corby 617
4th Dale Harris 608
5th John Gordon 600
6th Andrew Carter 594.5
7th Howard Barwick 587.5
8th Neil LeBihan 567
9th Richard Teasdale 552.5
10th Mike Blair 550
11th Megan Barker 547
12th John Sharp 546.5
13th Luke Bryne Perkins 544
14th Ed Buston 539
15th Samantha Falkner 535.5
16th Alice Cook 515
17th Selina Smith 510.5
18th Casper Steel 497
19th Mathew Roberts 484
20th Gordon Howell 482

(Collected from UKBC Facebook page and SCAEUK)

Well done to everyone, really pleased I'm going to get to spend another two days in the company of so many fine coffee folk!

Howard
HB18

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso