Disappointing Purchase Replacement E61 Shower Plate/Screen

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby double_shot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:51 am

geedee wrote:Well recognised, I am impressed ... :shock: I don't shoot much these days as I pick up on a couple of the big shoots in the SW 2 to 3 days a week and that takes all my spare time in the winter. Do you get out much?

Sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier I missed your reply for some reason.

I haven't got out much for the last couple of seasons and I don't have any dogs right now and shooting without a dog isn't really my thing. I beat for a couple of my old syndicates when they're short of people in the Kent, Surrey, Sussex and occasionally Essex and Cambridgeshire areas.

Good luck with the runners.
double_shot

Postby GreenBean » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:02 pm

I have run foul of this same issue and have to agree with double_shot and motoman that the generic E61 shower screen being supplied by a number of vendors is of very poor quality.

The original shower screen supplied with my Duetto is of excellent quality and looks identical to the original screen in double_shot's photos in his first post. The generic replacement is, unfortunately, identical to the replacement in his photos. :cry: The generic screen is made from thin, soft steel and is spot welded.  It also lacks the ridge formed in the original part that stiffens the side walls and allows for removal of the screen with spoon handles without damage to the screen.  

I have only used the generic shower screen occasionally and for short periods, whilst the original screen is cleaned, as I find the original screen produces better espresso. My generic screen is now unusable due to deformation of the thin side wall, causing leaks past the gasket, and spot welds failing, causing channelling.  The original screen shows no problems at all even though it has been in use for much longer and has been removed and replaced many more times.  

I have been trying to source a replacement good quality screen as my original is now four years old. I see they are available from espressoparts.com but they do not seem to ship outside of the USA and Canada. Has anyone found a source for the better quality shower screens in Europe?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby repeat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if someone has suggested this but what about seeing if BellaBarista could get some in for a group buy?
repeat

Postby dwalsh1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm glad this post reared its head. I purchased a Faema Legend some months ago and tried to remove the screen using a spoon. I assumed it was the same as my Duetto one (ridge at the top) and thought I was slowly dislodging it, being nervous with my brand new machine I looked up to see how much I dislodged the screen and was horrified to see the top part bent. I never did remove it but managed to straighten it out using the spoon itself. Another point though, when I brought the Duetto from BB they gave everyone the option of changing the gasket to an 8mm one rather than using the 8.5mm one that came standard with the Duetto so would be curious as to what mm one should I buy? espressoparts.co.uk supply parts but a minimum £10 P+P is steep. Did anyone find an alternative to HD for the screen cause mine must be well crudded up?
dennis
faema E61/mazzer major, elektra nino.
dwalsh1

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 am

repeat wrote:Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if someone has suggested this but what about seeing if BellaBarista could get some in for a group buy?

In my previous post in this thread I was trying to avoid mentioning any particular supplier. As far as I can see, from information supplied on their websites, most suppliers are offering the generic shower screen and I have been unable to find any (except the one previously mentioned in the USA) where it is clear they are offering the better quality screen.

Before my previous post I had been in contact with Bella Barista and they have kindly offered to attempt to source the better quality screen. If they are successful I will report back here. In the meantime does anyone know of any other source of these in Europe?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:11 am

dwalsh1 wrote:.... when I brought the Duetto from BB they gave everyone the option of changing the gasket to an 8mm one rather than using the 8.5mm one that came standard with the Duetto so would be curious as to what mm one should I buy? ....

I find the 8 mm gasket works best in my Duetto with my portafilters. If you are asking what thickness you should buy for the Legend I suggest you find out what thickness is currently installed and, if you are happy with it, stick to that. What works best will depend on the exact dimensions of your E61 group and your portafilters.

GreenBean

Postby double_shot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Greenbean,

I could add to the saga I embarked on but as my contribution received some negative responses I shall keep that to myself. Caviet emptor even after establishing what it is you do and don't want! I now have two of these *** items.

I just kept drawing blanks in the UK and I think the link you have provided is the best I could find as well. My original is still usable so I'm not desperate enough to buy from the states. I maybe up for supporting a group buy if that will help anyone out with spreading the shipping costs.

I really look after the one I have now I appreciate it for its form, function and rarity.

Thanks for the heads up,
Last edited by double_shot on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
double_shot

Postby dwalsh1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Well for £3.11 plus £3.50p P+P I will have to go with this.
http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/e61-shower-screen/p263
and this
http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/8mm-group-gasket/p93
dwalsh1

Postby GreenBean » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 am

dwalsh1 wrote:Well for £3.11 plus £3.50p P+P I will have to go with this.
and this

The shower screen you link to is an example of the type several of us are complaining about. :( They do work when new and, if you are happy to consider them disposable parts, due to the difficulty of removing them for cleaning without damage, and do not notice that they degrade the shot quality compared to a good quality screen then you will be happy with them. Personally, I would not want them if they were given away free and I will continue to search for a better quality screen.

GreenBean

Postby dwalsh1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Point taken Mr GreenBean (I have read the thread) but if BB don't come up with anything then we are all doomed :(
Incidentally I tried to remove mine again last night and that mother is stuck good and proper.
dwalsh1

Postby double_shot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 pm

GreenBean wrote:
dwalsh1 wrote:Well for £3.11 plus £3.50p P+P I will have to go with this.
and this

The shower screen you link to is an example of the type several of us are complaining about. :( They do work when new and, if you are happy to consider them disposable parts, due to the difficulty of removing them for cleaning without damage, and do not notice that they degrade the shot quality compared to a good quality screen then you will be happy with them. Personally, I would not want them if they were given away free and I will continue to search for a better quality screen.

I would agree with all of that especially the bold part.

dwalsh1 wrote:Point taken Mr GreenBean (I have read the thread) but if BB don't come up with anything then we are all doomed :(
Incidentally I tried to remove mine again last night and that mother is stuck good and proper.

It's unbelievable that no suppliers in the UK seems to be supplying the pressed steel version. We are indeed doomed! :( I can't bring myself to fitting one of those inferior screens to my machine. Image

Which type do you have fitted to your machine at the moment? If it's the new style with the mesh spot welded to the outside bottom edge then I doubt you will get it off undamaged. If damaging it isn't an issue a bradawl might work if you're willing to either dent or puncture the screen.

With the original screen a heavy teaspoon should to the job. If it's really tight keep working your way round the screen in small increments. It could be worth trying two spoons on opposite sides of the screen at the same time, which will help keep the pressure square and even. The lip on the pressed style filter should provide an ideal purchase point for a spoon or other suitable leaver.

If your filter is the pressed type I would try to get it off without damaging it, because finding a replacement is difficult.
double_shot

Postby dwalsh1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Did I see espressoparts.com mentioned in this thread? They claim to deliver to the UK. If you click on the parts section then on to Faema then manual e61 there are 2 screens shown that look to be the ones everyone is after. I'm waiting on a e-mail on p&p charges. :)
dwalsh1

Postby dwalsh1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Just had an update. $30 for shipping. I'm desperate but not that desperate :(
dwalsh1

Postby double_shot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 am

dwalsh1 wrote:Just had an update. $30 for shipping. I'm desperate but not that desperate :(

Thanks for the information dwalsh1 you would need to be pretty damned desperate to suck up a $30 shipping fee.
Maybe this would be an ideal group by situation that way we can spread the cost of the shipping. If someone is an e-bay freak with a entrepreneurial spirit maybe a bulk by and sell them on e-bay for a small profit. There must me a market for these in the UK considering how shoddy the alternatives are. After cleaning my machine the other say ai realise that I could really do with changing mine as soon as possible and will soon be desperate enough to swallow a percentage of the $30 shipping. :(

If anyone knows of a Canadian source of these screens I could possibly have some brought into the UK in about two or three weeks time, failing that I will have a second opportunity in November again from Canada.
double_shot

Postby GreenBean » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

double_shot wrote:
dwalsh1 wrote:Just had an update. $30 for shipping. I'm desperate but not that desperate :(

Thanks for the information dwalsh1 you would need to be pretty damned desperate to suck up a $30 shipping fee......

Don't forget that VAT and any customs duty are payable on the purchase price plus the shipping cost and carriers levy an additional charge for clearing customs which is usually an extra £12 to £16 per package. :(

double_shot wrote:....If anyone knows of a Canadian source of these screens I could possibly have some brought into the UK in about two or three weeks time, failing that I will have a second opportunity in November again from Canada.

That would be great if we did know of a Canadian source. I have not given up on a UK or European supplier yet. I have a few enquiries outstanding and am hoping to hear back from them in the next few weeks. :D

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso