Disappointing Purchase Replacement E61 Shower Plate/Screen

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby double_shot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:51 pm

bruceb wrote:This is the reason I would contact Scott about the above part. If he says the manufacturer changed suppliers and the new parts are all that are available, so be it. If he says these are aftermarket parts and are less expensive than the original then one can go looking for the original somewhere else. It has nothing to do with Scott's professionalism or otherwise. I would presume these are the only parts available.

No alternative is listed on HD/Scotts website and I really don't feel the need to trouble him over it. There is an alternative available from other suppliers, which suggests it's readily available. As a supplier of professional equipment I assume Scott is aware of that, in which case it's a business decision on his part. My personal preference and concept of acceptable quality and standards has no bearing on Scotts professionalism. I have tried to make it clear throughout this thread...I don't have any issues with HD or Scott. I also gave examples of other companies who supply the same part, expressly to remove any finger pointing! The only issue I have is with the part because its a joke! I have had better quality items fall out of a £1.99 box of Christmas crackers.

Here is a source Esspresso Parts

Note the fact that they highlight the fabrication method, also the date 'New 04/02/09'. I personally think there is a chance that it will have some effect on the shot, I gave my reasons earlier in the thread. It's a quality item as they suggest.

Hope that clears things up.
double_shot

Postby motoman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

My point is that I ordered my bits from the manufacturers, if you were a manufacturer, would you allow your own high quality machines out of the factory gate with the final vital delivery part made from old milk bottle tops?

Knowledge like this will be certain to influence future very expensive purchases from members.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby double_shot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:11 pm

@Motoman

Concise and bang on the money. You have said in one sentence that which has taken me way too many words to express.

Case closed 'caveat emptor'

If they would fit a part like this where you can see it, what is on the inside?
double_shot

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm late as ever to the thread :oops:. My understanding is that the screen with the circular perforations is an 'original' and the slotted one an aftermarket as has been suggested in the thread. However, as Bruce eluded, in this instance 'original' just means from whatever company Iberital are using to make them.

Scott tries to keep 'original' screens in stock whenever possible though coffee parts are notorious for poor availability and I know he sometimes has only the other type available instead. I think that the majority of his customers are trade and perhaps the issue of which type of screen is less critical to them than to enthusiasts, so it's probably never been raised as an issue.

By all means, do drop Scott a line. He is very reasonable and will appreciate constructive feedback.

We have here and have used both types of screen fairly extensively. We prefer the original too, though I think the main difference is the flow rate (I accept the originals are better finished). The slotted screens allow a faster flow rate, which requires a different grind/tamp and makes distribution more critical.

As for the 'manual', I'm surperised the text is still kicking about, it was little more than ramblings straight into an email. Perhaps we should collectively produce something more durable as the L'Anna is a good machine to get to grips with and she really benefits from some of the adjustments that are easily achieved :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby double_shot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey there cakeboy,

Not too late it's still current as far as I'm concerned, your input is solid as usual.

I have tried to be clear that I am not upset with Scott. I know he is reasonable and I have found him to be most helpful. It was Scott that introduced me to this very forum.

My issue is with any manufacturer who would fit such a poor component to a pro machine. How could that screen pass QC? I would sack the purchasing manager if they brought that quality of component into my production line.

I must say I'm surprised that pro users would accept that part. I'm curious as to how easily it is removed? How/where do you get a decent purchase point on it for extraction? What tool do you use? Do you consider it a single/minimal use disposable item?

I have witnessed pro baristas struggling to remove the original pressed type screen. I can't imagine them having much success removing the welded type - especially if you wanted to put it back into service.

I would normally use a sturdy spoon on the ridge. I can't see how you could remove the welded style using a spoon or one of these and use it again...

I must be more of a coffee geek/enthusiast than I had realised.

Do you consider the increased flow rate an advantage? Would a commercial coffee shop owner fit the welded one, in preference to the pressed type?

The sooner you answer the sooner the big bright light gets turned away from your face. If you're really good you won't under go a water boarding session. There may even be a muffin in it. :wink: :wink:

The instructions you wrote up are fab...thanks for sharing your knowledge. Yes I think a compilation of L'anna material would be great. The de-scaling one would be useful to owners of other brands of HX machine. Ideal wiki material. :) dr.chris could be the curator for the L'anna data centre, he helped me out on a couple of occasions with his library service. :)

Cheers,
double_shot

Postby GeoffsCigars » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 am

I don't know if my Rocket is unusual, but I've never found any difficulty in removing the shower screen, and do it as part of a regular cleaning routine - always surprised by just how much gunk gets behind it.

I find that if I slip a sturdy teaspoon up into the head at one of the recesses that the pf fits into, I can get a purchase on the outer circumference of the gasket and free it downwards a bit. Once this is done on both sides the shower head and gasket easily pull out complete by hand. No mechanical leverage on the shower head at all. So far the gasket has never been damaged in this process, and I'm still on the original.

I suspect that the more frequently the gasket is removed, the easier it is to do it.
GeoffsCigars

Postby leecb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:08 am

I suspect that the more frequently the gasket is removed, the easier it is to do it.

This is very true in my experience, the first time I tried to remove one it was really hard and I knackered the gasket, but now that I do it every time I clean it comes away very easily.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby double_shot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi GeoffsC and Leecb,

I have no trouble removing the shower screen, and have never seen the need for anything more technical than a trusty spoon.

Our methods are a little different, I place the spoon at an angle where the group head isn't cut for the PF lugs. The tip of the leaver fits in to the screens ridge and it pops out. I have never applied a metal object between the brass casting of the head and the rubber gasket. In fact it would never have cross my mind to use that technique.

The tool in the above image is designed to apply pressure on the edge of the group head, as the prong locks against the ridge on the screen. It would be useless with the new style shower screen as it has no ridge. I guess if you applied enough force it would create its own purchase point while damaging the screen. [ ignore the previous paragraph and see the following post and link provided by GC ]

@Leecb
With regular removal the gaskets generally do pop out easily enough. Having said that, there are plenty of people who seem to experience difficulty removing them.

The real problem is with machines that haven't had the shower screen removed, as part of their cleaning cycle. If the sludge is left to it's own devices for a long period, it creates a vice like grip. Removing the screen becomes a much more difficult task - even with the old style screen.

Cheers,
Last edited by double_shot on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
double_shot

Postby GeoffsCigars » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:45 pm

double_shot wrote: I have never applied a metal object between the brass casting of the head and the rubber gasket. In fact it would never have cross my mind to use that technique.

The tool in the above image is designed to apply pressure on the edge of the group head, as the prong locks against the ridge on the screen. ,

I'd never thought of the risk of damaging the grouphead by my method. May need to re-think.

I'd looked at the caffeine wrenches, but hadn't realised that they were designed to remove the shower head - I'd been put off them by the warning not to use them to remove E-61 gaskets: http://www.espressoparts.com/PALLO_CAFFEINEWRENCH
GeoffsCigars

Postby double_shot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:02 pm

GeoffsCigars wrote:
double_shot wrote: I have never applied a metal object between the brass casting of the head and the rubber gasket. In fact it would never have cross my mind to use that technique.

The tool in the above image is designed to apply pressure on the edge of the group head, as the prong locks against the ridge on the screen. ,

I'd never thought of the risk of damaging the grouphead by my method. May need to re-think.

I'd looked at the caffeine wrenches, but hadn't realised that they were designed to remove the shower head - I'd been put off them by the warning not to use them to remove E-61 gaskets: http://www.espressoparts.com/PALLO_CAFFEINEWRENCH

Thanks for the link GC,

That explains why I have seen baristas struggling to remove the screen. Whenever I have seen them have a problem, they were trying to use one of those tools or similar.

I have never personally used one of those tools - I see no point. Looking at the design, I had assumed that screen removal was one of the applications. Learn something new every day so to day is no exception.

I better edit my previous post in case someone thinks it's the correct usage! :oops:

Cheers,
double_shot

Postby nickr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Have I missed something? I just don't understand why anyone would want to replace a shower screen (unless it was damaged in removal of course.) Why not replace a working neon lamp, or perhaps the rear right hand foot? The market for replacement shower screens must be tiny, the one you recieved is probably ancient.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby double_shot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Mine isn't damaged but it's not perfect either so I wanted a new one.
I don't think the one I received is ancient they knew how to make quality items in olden days. :) The size of the market is relevant to the quality of a replacement how exactly?
double_shot

Postby GeoffsCigars » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 pm

nickr wrote:Have I missed something? I just don't understand why anyone would want to replace a shower screen (unless it was damaged in removal of course.) Why not replace a working neon lamp, or perhaps the rear right hand foot? The market for replacement shower screens must be tiny, the one you recieved is probably ancient.

"Shower plates and screens do wear out and distribute less efficiently with age, we suggest you change your screen or plate every three months for a commercial machine and every six months for a domestic espresso coffee machine." Quote from Happy Donkey!

Not a large market, I admit, but they are a stock item with most machine apares suppliers.
GeoffsCigars

Postby nickr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 pm

double_shot wrote::) The size of the market is relevant to the quality of a replacement how exactly?

Where did I say that it my post? All I meant to imply was that the turn round would be slow, meaning that the item sent to you might have been held in stock for some considerable time. However in the light of Geoff's post I realise I am mistaken and that they should be replaced every 6 months! I had the weird idea that they would last for the life of the machine! Better order a few now, although perhaps not from HD :shock:
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby double_shot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 pm

nickr wrote:
double_shot wrote::) The size of the market is relevant to the quality of a replacement how exactly?

Where did I say that it my post? All I meant to imply was that the turn round would be slow, meaning that the item sent to you might have been held in stock for some considerable time. However in the light of Geoff's post I realise I am mistaken and that they should be replaced every 6 months! I had the weird idea that they would last for the life of the machine! Better order a few now, although perhaps not from HD :shock:

This would be the bit...
The market for replacement shower screens must be tiny, the one you recieved is probably ancient.

I think the pressed version would last well in excess of 6 months. I purchased my machine second hand and the screen is in pretty good shape. There are a few marks on it where it has been removed in the past with something a little too sharp. That's why I was changing it - apart from that I can't see any obvious signs or ware. I have no idea how old it actually is, I have had it over six months and I suspect it was fitted to the machine a long time before that.
double_shot

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso