£300 to blow

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

£300 to blow

Postby quink » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:51 pm

Need ideas on how to blow £300 on a new espresso machine and where to get one. Should be coming in to a bit of money soon by way of the inland revenue, when ever they get their act together and pay out. So whats out there for this kind of money? The only thing I have to worry about other than getting it past the wife :wink: is the size of the thing. Any ideas?
quink

Re: £300 to blow

Postby matts » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:55 pm

Remind us what you have now, are upgrading from, grinder etc... Are you a renovation type technical guru 8) or a 'it needs to work straight out of the box' man? Are you happy to buy a 2nd hand machine? Do you have the space to consider a commerical monster?

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby quink » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:07 pm

Space is definetly a major concern at the moment. The grinder is a slightly modified dualit/starbucks grinder adjsuted so that at the finest setting the burrs will touch. The espresso machine (or joke) I use at the moment is an old briel chamonix from about 5/6 years ago, which I think is on its last legs. Working out of the box would be great, I can imagine the look on the wife's face if I tell her this thing cost me £300 and it doesnt even work yet. ( I think Steve may have seen this face at some point :) )
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Re: £300 to blow

Postby MKSwing » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:34 pm

quink wrote:Need ideas on how to blow £300 on a new espresso machine and where to get one. Should be coming in to a bit of money soon by way of the inland revenue, when ever they get their act together and pay out. So whats out there for this kind of money? The only thing I have to worry about other than getting it past the wife :wink: is the size of the thing. Any ideas?

I'd go for a Gaggia Baby or a Classic. They are tall but not big.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:00 pm

For that kind of money, I'm going to break ranks and say you can almost afford a Silvia (bout 325)... however, prepare for everyone to tell you to upgrade the grinder first.... :D
Can you use the Silvia with a Solis/Dualit/Starbucks...? Yup, I've done it. Is it ideal? In a word, no (I think part of the problem is the inconsistency in the grounds). I think it is safe to say that even with a Solis and a little bit of care and attention it is possible to make better espresso than you will be served in many commercial outlets.
If it was me, I think I would try and go for a new machine (either a gaggia classic or silvia) and then try and get a good secondhand grinder. Who knows, somebody here might have something they are willing to sell.
Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:13 pm

I would suggest to buy an espresso and a grinder both 2nd hand. I think that you can buy a very good set-up then (a Silvia and a Rocky/Innova or maybe if you are lucky a Mazzer). Good luck.

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby NottmSteve » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:11 pm

Try www.gaggia.co.uk for one of their well priced "recons" that are as new... call them first if you are worried!
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby tisri » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:43 pm

You can probably get a used bean-to-cup machine if you're into those. I like mine because it makes life so easy, especially first thing in the morning when I need my coffee and don't want to have to fuss with making it. The Compact Digital is about £450 new so you might get a used one for a little over £300. You can also get the non-digital versions cheaper but I reckon they aren't as good.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby PeterAG » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:26 pm

Unlike Quink I only half that amount to spend,£150, (she who must be obeyed has sanctioned it, it pays to be cranky without a shot first thing sometimes). I have been tempted by La Pavoni, its the levers and guages, bells, whistles, steam and the smell of smoke. Most seem to be in Germany on E-bay is it advisable to go for the gleam of chrome or stick with a used Gaggia Classic??
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby PeterAG » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:29 pm

Sorry I almost forgot,

Hello everyone.
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby phil » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:53 pm

Hello Peter.

If you're talking Pavoni levers, then from experience I would go for the Gaggia Classic. I had a Pavoni lever for about 8 years until I bought the Gaggia commercial I now own. I sold the Pavoni to a nice chap called Oliver something-or-other. They're too much like hard work. I should have bought a Classic, or its contemporary in 1995.

Oliver - if you ever read this, why haven't you joined TMC yet?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:06 pm

Peter,
I'm going to second what Phil recommends. Do the research for yourself, to make sure you are making the right decision for you, but as you'll learn, it's all about getting the different variables just right. So to start with, you want a machine which will control as many of those for you as possible, whilst providing you with the results you are looking for. After that you can start to take control of elements for yourself, one by one and appreciate the effect that each one has on the overall result.
Good luck!
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby MKSwing » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:36 pm

phil wrote:If you're talking Pavoni levers, then from experience I would go for the Gaggia Classic. I had a Pavoni lever for about 8 years until I bought the Gaggia commercial I now own. I sold the Pavoni to a nice chap called Oliver something-or-other. They're too much like hard work. I should have bought a Classic, or its contemporary in 1995.

I agree with Phil. They demand on long learning curve and you'll never get what you can get from a good espresso machine (and I don't say a 1500 euros one). If you go for a second hand, I saw a Cimbali Domus on eBay sold by an italian.

My brother owns one and it makes a great cup.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby chrisnotton » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 am

The La Pavoni pump machines are good too. I used one daily for seven years before changing up to a larger machine.
They have an online shop where you can get all their smaller machinses at good prices:
http://www.lapavoni.it/Shopping/Shoppin ... t=5&lang=2

Pip pip
}<////(">
chrisnotton

Postby quink » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:41 am

I'll admit I am tempted by the pavoni levers as they're just about in my price range. From what I've seen on the net in various places, in reviews and what nots, people who use them a LOT (I think that should be stressed) swear by them as making some of the best espresso ever. The only thing putting me off is, am I going to make that much espresso in the next couple of years to master the thing and contrasted with how long will a new pump machine last in daily use, as pavonis can last for years
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Next

Return to Espresso