RB tamper

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RB tamper

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:10 pm

Well, I feel I am a proper espresso officianado now, I have a Reg Barber tamper 8) .
It is, of coarse, seconhand in excellent condition from our own Hugh. It is a 58mm stainless one withe a convex bottom, so it will be interesting to see how it compares with my flat bottomed alluminium one.
It certainly feels nice in the hand.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby NottmSteve » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:14 pm

I have the same one... bought it a while back from espresso wharehouse. You'll never need another! This is one area I have no upgrade urge whatsoever!
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby HughF » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:19 pm

NottmSteve wrote:I have the same one... bought it a while back from espresso wharehouse. You'll never need another! This is one area I have no upgrade urge whatsoever!

Me too, but unfortunately I don't have a lathe to turn it down to 53mm from 58!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:14 pm

I used this for the first time this evening. Interesting, obviously the tamper leaves a convex puck, but when I lock the portafilter in the rim of the puck now hits the showerscreen which compresses the puck flat! I must not have enough gap under the puck anyway as the srew imprint is very deep.
It is odd that my old dosing method that worked with the Isomac grinder - half fill, shake and tap to settle the grounds, over fill, distibute, level, and tamp which left a couple of mm gap under the showerscreen - seems to give different results with the Rocky grinder, doing this gives a puck that is much thicker, and touches the showerscreen :? . Either the grind settles better using the doser into the portafilter rather than gring into it, or the particle shape is different and so distributes differently.

Ah, the mysteries of espresso
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby johara » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:53 pm

I have just ordered a very similar tamper from reg and look forward to receiving it in the post.
johara

Postby pault » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:47 pm

I think the Reg Barbers are fine - they do a good job,

but if you look on my other tamper thread - in terms of both weight and handle I've found the Auzzie ones at http://all.at/coffeetampers are better to use

to repeat nothing wrong with the RBs (before people shout at me) but all in all I think the Auzzies are better and don't be put off by the distance - I ordered tampers from both the US and Oz at the same time and the Auzzie ones came on Monday and I'm still waiting on the US ones ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby simonp » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:12 pm

Used the RB tamper again this evening, I gorund a little less coffee, and didn't do my usual half fill, and shake/tap, then overfill. I just overfilled and loosely moved the grounds around and levelled, this gave me a lowr puck upon tamping.
The pour (Daterra espresso blend, 4 days rest) looked very good, slow and oozing crema, tasted great too.
I'm guessing one of the points of the convex tamper is to distribute grounds to the edge better, and so lessens the need to distribute with your finger, whivh seemed to work for me.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:30 pm

Glad it's working out for you. My new RB (ordered at 53mm size) is really a bit small in the S1 pf - I suggest anyone else waits for their pf to arrive, measures it and then orders their tamper to obtain as close a fit as possible. I think pault did this, I was too impatient; if I'd known about the installation delay then I **would** have waited and ordered the precise size. Maybe I'll try a NESW tamp after the main tamp to sort out the edges next time.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby pault » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:37 pm

my measurement for the Spaziale (my basket at least) was 53.6mm at the smallest point

don't know how accurate that is for other baskets - but it is worth doing the proper caliper measurement at 6 different diameter points and taking the lowest - sounds o.t.t. but it produces a perfect fit ...

the Auzzie tamper maker really takes his measurements seriously and the Thor hammers fit great as well ...

my sense is good as the RBs are - they're a bit more like a mass-produced brand, maybe they're just too busy/big to take the care that some of these smaller producers do ...

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Joey » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:59 am

does anyone of youn spaziale guys need 53mm tampers, new, I forgot how they are called - the ones with the colorful middle of the handle...like a glass, they have been on CG, they are convex, stainless steel, nice heavy...

found out that I need 54mm with the original baskets, the old ones could use 53. Now I have 3 53 tampers, just one is in use....
here's a pic:
I have the red, orange and green one....
joey
Attachments
lavatampers_group.jpg
lavatampers_group.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:48 am

OHHH ME MISS ME PLEASE (rasies his hand waveing it in the air) I'd love the red on if thats OK,
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:47 pm

the red one is the only one we used the last 3 weeks, so if you don't mind that.... but it has no signs of usage. We always let them stand on the handle (upside down) so that we don't ruin the surface of the bottom.
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Return to Espresso