Nov. 2nd: Let's vote too! What does your crema look like?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What does your crema look like? (see attachment)

7%
No votes
13%
7%
73%

Total votes : 30

Postby Beanie » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:30 pm

Sadly, forced to vote #1 - and barely even that in reality. Apart from being a newbie to proper espresso, I'm also desperately waiting for an out-of-stock grinder :(
Beanie

Postby Raf » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:43 pm

I believe Henk from ESW has some second hand grinders available, Marcy, maybe you could check with him?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:07 pm

Thanks, Raf :) Actually, that's where it's on back-order. Picked up my espresso machine there 2.5 wks ago but they were completely out of all the Mazzers... we were promised a phone call as soon as they re-stock (which is hopefully this or next week). Maybe I'll give a quick phone call as a gentle reminder.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:12 pm

Something that nobody else here has mentioned is how the intensity of the colour varies quite alot within the first minute after the pour. I normally get a good 5mm crema on 1oz shot glasses and quite a lot of the "guiness effect," so it takes a while for the cream to "settle" and as it does, it can darken quite a bit. The main element (all other things being equally) seems to me to be the freshness of the beans.
Dom
Gouezeri

Cinnamon bark, s'il-vous-plait!

Postby benoit » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:16 pm

Hi,

a five, seven mornings a week with bitter marmelade on buttered toast, please!

A domestic MicroCimbali lever machine, a modified doserless Rocky, a good selection of green beans, a dry second crack!

Numero 5, voyons, this Our aim!

benoit of frome, somerset, england
benoit

Postby zix » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:12 pm

Peter, what machine is that in your avatar image? Not the VFA Expres?

ustinov wrote:Using a Cunil grinder and a VFA Expres Elite I pull Nr 3 mostly. When grinding finer or using more coffee I am able to get a nr. 4, but it is usually too bitter to drink.
I will take matts advice and turn up the pressurestat once more.

The quest never ends.

Peter
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby ustinov » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:31 pm

zix wrote:Peter, what machine is that in your avatar image? Not the VFA Expres?

No, that is an Aurora Export. It is a lever machine that I bought in a very bad condition. It is lying in the attic, disassembled.
Originally I bought the VFA just to have something to replace my 2-group Faema Prestige (P6), while I was rebuilding the Aurora.
...but that was many moons ago.
I am still in doubt wether I should disassemble the whole machine or just the parts that I can see need some cleaning. This is a machine that I would like to not just work, but also look perfect.
It will be a long term project.

Peter
ustinov

Previous

Return to Espresso