Brewing temperature and flavour (espresso)

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brewing temperature and flavour (espresso)

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:19 pm

After having had a short discussion with R@L on nl.dranken.koffie, I decided to play around with the brewing temperature of my espresso machine. For those who didn't know yet, I added a PID to my espresso machine, so I can set the brewing temperature.

I always brewed at 95.5C (as suggested by David Schomer), this will give a reddish-brown crema. I know a lot of people go for 92C, but I always found the espresso too sour/acidic. If you have read some of my other postings, then you know that this may have been caused by bad roasting in my IMEX. But I have solved this IMEX problem now.

In Italy the official definition of an espresso is 88C!!! Surely that sounds too acidic to me. However, I tried a couple of shots at that temperature, and the result is a very smooth (both in taste and texture), creamy, mild espresso. I can definitely recommend it. The crema will be a bit paler though. I only tried this on a Mexican bean that I bought in February this year from Algerian Coffee Stores.

I also tried this bean at 95.5C and then the taste is more bitter and complex. More comparable to a very good Starbucks shot (if such a thing exists). :wink:

So I will definitely play with the brewing temperature a little bit more. Any comments are welcome!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:12 am

More news on this would be very welcome. I like hot espresso myself, but if it improved the quality, I wouldn't hesitate to drink my espresso colder. It's true that I remember Italian espresso as really smooth, but that I haven't been able yet to reproduce that taste.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:34 am

Sunnyfield wrote: However, I tried a couple of shots at that temperature, and the result is a very smooth (both in taste and texture), creamy, mild espresso. I can definitely recommend it.

I've tried it this morning with the french-press...(Can't try it with Elektra-tempproblem-should-never-have-bought-her espressomachine...) Amazing, as the taste was indeed smoother, less pungent/bitter...
Thanks a lot EWARD

(BTW, Schomer was an Idol for me... but now, after experiencing that tamping less hard (in fact I've set the grind extremely fine and do not need to tamp at all - only a light levelling tamp - works much better, now it seems (with this temperature issue) that Schomer is not the man for me anymore... (But as it is all a matter of taste... I can't blame him).
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Raf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:10 am

Didn't know you h ad problems with the elektra, Michel? What's wrong? It's fairly new, isn't it?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:17 pm

Neku,
It's failry new indeed..!
I was in a sort of neglecting-the-time-consuming-issue's on this machine for a 'long' time... But now I can be fair, and say: Don't buy it unless you are a millionaire who want's to taste the best shot ever! Or you are a unemployed bachelor, who likes freeking out on a machine which is capable of making a couple of extremely good ristretto shots... Because convenience on this machine is ZERO!
You can read more about me exploring this machine on the following link: www.home.zonnet.nl/michelenpetra/ritual.html

And I'm feeling so guilty towards myself... as I had a deal with a ECM dealer I could buy a Giotto for 'only' 1000 euro... (same Elektra costed...) but I wanted something to work on, a chalenge... something 'unique' against the advice off all people who were interfering.
I which I had a different character... :oops:

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:20 pm

Hmm, I must admit that I'd never buy a machine that operated on a lever: too much fuss for me. If you're looking for another machine: I can recommend the Vibiemme, readily available in the Netherlands: I bought mine at Van Eembergen (but I have issues with them, so I wouldn't recommend them) and Espresso Service West sells them as well.

Raf
Founder Member

Return to Espresso