Tamper heaven!!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Tamper heaven!!

Postby pault » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:35 am

I haven't got my actual hands on them yet - but here are pictures of the custom-made Thor-hammers winging their way from the States - one is African bubinga and the other type is called Amboyna burl - I've had theme done to fit both the Spazio and the Giotto - will let people know what they're like to use.

the guy who makes them is nice to deal with - loves his job, a real craftsman

all the best,

Paul.
Attachments
PT58bubinga.JPG
The Bubinga
PT58bubinga.JPG (70.08 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
PTAmboyna58.JPG
The Amboyna
PTAmboyna58.JPG (64.08 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby mnemonix » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:43 am

That's some beautiful furniture you've got there ;-)
mnemonix

Postby phil » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:55 am

Agreed Paul, Les Albjerg (Mr Thor Tampers) is a really nice bloke.

Great looking products too. Promise I'll get one myself if ever I am allowed to have a Spazio.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:04 pm

Mutter Muttter grumble grumble, spose I better get my finger out and order some soon :(
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:40 pm

That leaves me with my Reg Barber... which made me very happy everyday till a few minutes ago! When I saw this pictures my head stood still, my heart bounched/bumped like it did never before... so I have to addmit that this is the most beautifull tamper I've ever seen...

About the name of the tamper: Thor
(Thor is the Norse god of thunder. He is a son of Odin and Jord, and one of the most powerful gods. He is married to Sif, a fertility goddess. His mistress is the giantess Jarnsaxa ("iron cutlass"), and their sons are Magni and Modi and his daughter is Thrud. Thor is helped by Thialfi, his servant and the messenger of the gods.

Thor was usually portrayed as a large, powerful man with a red beard and eyes of lighting. Despite his ferocious appearance, he was very popular as the protector of both gods and humans against the forces of evil. He even surpassed his father Odin in popularity because, contrary to Odin, he did not require human sacrifices. In his temple at Uppsala he was shown standing with Odin at his right side. This temple was replaced by a Christian church in 1080.

The Norse believed that during a thunderstorm, Thor rode through the heavens on his chariot pulled by the goats Tanngrisni ("gap-tooth") and Tanngnost ("tooth grinder"). Lightning flashed whenever he threw his hammer Mjollnir. Thor wears the belt Megingjard which doubles his already considerable strength. His hall is Bilskirnir, which is located in the region Thrudheim ("place of might"). His greatest enemy is Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent. At the day of Ragnarok, Thor will kill this serpent but will die from its poison. His sons will inherit his hammer after his death.

Donar is his Teutonic equivalent, while the Romans see in him their god Jupiter. Thursday is named after him.)

Compliments on this one Pault,

Michel

(oh... one question though as the pictures are not clear enough for me to see: is the bottom made of brass/copper? what material?)
michel

Postby pault » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:11 pm

thanks for the Norse mythology background.

depending on the colour of the wood he uses the bases are made of either blackwood or lignum vitae which are supposed to be pretty much the hardest there are.

I'm chuffed with how nice looking they are but we'll see how practical they are to use - they have added alloy weight inside - so I'm hopeful they'll do a good job. I should get them in a matter of days so we'll soon find out!!

All the best,

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

new Auzzie ones ...

Postby pault » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi everyone,

attached are some more photos slightly less professionally done than my American friend's :lol:

the bigger ones are the new ones I've just got from Australia at http://all.at/coffeetampers

they're sized for my Spazio 53.6mm baskets and fit really well.

only used them a few times so far - but they really work well.

for the sake of comparison I've included in the photo the 51mm Impod and the 58mm Reg Barber. These Auzzie ones are a lot heavier ...

On my weirdly behaving digital scale The impod is 306g, the Reg Barber 330 and the 2 Oz ones are 414g & 428g (the chessboard wood is heavier)

already I've noticed better pulls which wouldn't be difficult because I was using the ill fitting impod (originally bought for the La Pavoni)

my overall feeling is that if you're after functionality they are quite noticeably better than the Reg Barber the half-ball handle-end is excellent and they are *very* heavy. So, all in all, I'm well pleased with them. Aesthetically - they look nice but I fear their wood will pale next to the Thorhammers - but then I'm not comparing like with like - form vs function etc.

will give you an update when the Thor hammers arrive ...

all the best,

Paul.
Attachments
PICT0069changed.jpg
PICT0069changed.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
PICT0068changed.jpg
the range
PICT0068changed.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby kingseven » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:51 pm

Its all about the convex base. Out of the blue someone gave me a rounded bottom reg barber like the one above as a thank you. New toy for the day!

Is it worrying that such a simple combination of wood and steel can be so pleasing?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:58 pm

they look wonderfull, :evil: mutter mutter grumble grumble I really should get and order some as i'm using the one on the lusso grinder at the moment, and I know any one of these would be better than that.

best get my act together !
Steve
Founder Member

Postby pault » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:59 pm

but the interesting thing is only my Reg Barber has the convex base and I personally (along with the tamper makers) think the flat bases are better ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby pault » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 am

please indulge me but ....

the Thor hammer tampers arrived today - THEY ARE BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

the photos don't do them justice ...

a) each one has it's own unique appearance - I got 2 different woods in 2 different sizes and although you can tell they're the same wood but they have different grains, whorls etc - stunning.
b) I was slightly worried they'd be too light but the 58mm ones are 394g and 388g - and for comparison the RB 58mm is 330

I just used the 53mm ones and they fit the Spazio basket perfectly - produce a great tamp and fit the hand brilliantly.

cut to the chase ----

the guy's a pleasure to deal with
they take about a week in the post
they're stunning and completely unique

do you get the impression I'm happy with them :drink: :drink: ?????????
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Raf » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:57 am

Er, this obsession with phallic objects, pault, is it a problem? 8)
Last edited by Raf on Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:07 pm

I'd heard lots of good stuff about Les. Glad you're chuffed.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:14 pm

So if you've got heavy ones, you've actually bought the "Thor Hammer" versions then?

Oh and - photos please!

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby pault » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:30 pm

the photos are the one's earlier in this thread - Les took them of my particular tampers for me,

yep they're the extra-weighted ones - Thor Hammer, I don't think the others would be heavy enough.

I know I must sound like a stuck record but the form/function balance is always important to me and these objects not only do the job well they look beautiful - the perfect combination from my point of view. The fact that each one is custom-made for you and is unlike any other tamper even one that's from the same block of wood is an added bonus that I find great considering how standardised most of the objects we use normally are ...

cheers,

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Espresso