La San Marco FK vs. Elektra Nino Grinder?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La San Marco FK vs. Elektra Nino Grinder?

Postby wogaut » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 am

I have the LSM FK and are quite satisfied, but was thinking to go doserless.
So I looked at the Nino and actually played with it for a few days now.

I was surprised to see exactly the same burr set in the FK and Nino (eventhough the specs say there's a millimeter difference), I could really interchange them. The Nino is driving that set slightly faster so it grinds faster. So they are very much the same grinders. Doserless and stepless on the Nino side which I regard as features that don't immediately influence quality in the cup.

The FK has a planetary gear system that delays heat transmission from motor to burrs, also the motor power is slightly lower (made possible by the gear system to maintain necessary torque). On the other hand the Nino is praised for cool grinding kudos to the large fan on the bottom. But after playing with it for a while I feel that the fan is not contributing much, considering the low RPM of the fan (about 500rpm same as grinding) and the short duration it's on (only during grinding, about 4sec for a double shot). In fact the burr chamber and the ground coffee feels substantially hotter on the Nino after grinding a couple of pounds of coffee one shot after the other.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with both of these grinders and has an opinion on that. Some people regard it as heresy when wondering if the Nino heats the coffee, but I am wondering more and more how the Nino performs in terms of heating under a more heavy load than just the occasional few double shots?

Thanks,
Wolfgang
La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi
La San Marco FK
wogaut

Return to Espresso