Getting too techy?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Getting too techy?

Postby simonp » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:06 pm

There have been some comments in recent threads about getting over "techy" about the coffee/espresso process, e.g. ,easuring and worrying about 0.5deg fo brew temp, and about measuring with a thermocouple in the puck, also the portafilter size argument.
These things got me thinking.
I guess I could be considered on the "techy" side, what with modding popcorn machines, putting a PID on the Silvia, and also recently measuring brew temp with a thermocouple in the puck.
You could say that this was totaly over anal, and there is a lot of this about, especially it seems on alt.coffee.
However, looking at this a different way:
I cannot afford a commercial style machine. The Silvia is well known for having a very stable brew temp (for a home machine) during a shot, but that the actual temp can vary a lot due to the wide hysteresis thermostat. Solution, fit a PID controller. Yes it's techy, but suddenl you have not onlt stable "in shot" temp, but always the same brew temp. Yes you can get more "techy" and adjust temp for beans, but I'm with Joey here, very little difference to my taste.
I did the thermocouple in the puck measurement for one reason only, having changed the way the machine worked with the PID, I had no way of accurately measuring the brew temp. Having done it once, I have no need again.

In closing, whilst I think there is a lot of nonsense going on, and getting too technical, particularly about espresso, there is, sometimes, a place for it. Sometimes with a small outlay, you can make something work so much better. I'm not talking about major surgery here, just correcting or improving minor engineering details, often left out for small cost savings by the manufacturer, which can have a huge impact on the abilities of your equipment. A god example is heat control of a popper, a simple alteration that makes a massive difference in the equipment's abilities.

Waffle over :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:14 pm

Can you summarise what you're saying here please Simon? I've got email config coming out of my ears and I'm tired.

Are you saying that messing with the details is worthwhile because we can't all afford machines worth thousands, machines that lessen the need for such fiddling?

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:34 pm

phil wrote:Can you summarise what you're saying here please Simon? I've got email config coming out of my ears and I'm tired.

Are you saying that messing with the details is worthwhile because we can't all afford machines worth thousands, machines that lessen the need for such fiddling?

Phil

That is how I read it. And also, if you´re that kind of person, its fun too! (I read that one between the lines, probably because I am also that kind of a person :wink:)
Last edited by zix on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby pault » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:38 pm

my interpretation is that Simon's saying that it's fine to fiddle with a definite end in sight it's when the fiddling becomes an end in itself that the problems begin. I must admit I think the balance is difficult and subjetive e.g. I'll use a digital timer for pulling shots but I think having a thermometer in your frothing jug is sad ...

I'm also personally resistant to having a super accurate temp-to-1-degree-controlled machine - seems to take some of the intuitive aspect away ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby simonp » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:19 am

In a word, yes :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:45 am

my interpretation is that Simon's saying that it's fine to fiddle with a definite end in sight it's when the fiddling becomes an end in itself that the problems begin.

Also yes.

I was just getting concerned that I was moreCG than TMC with the technical postings, so felt I should explain my reasons for the techy stuff.

Basically my mods etc have allowed me to concentrate more on technique, and blending, and to get on with what coffee is really about.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby matts » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:27 pm

simonp wrote:I was just getting concerned that I was moreCG than TMC with the technical postings

I like your posts :) but I don't much care for CG. This is a hobby as far as I am concerned, and just like any other hobby there are different aspects that float peoples boats, as long as one aspect doesn't become overly dominant (which on some of the other forums people are rightly getting a little weary of) then more power to us all frankly. For me personally a lot of the enjoyment over the past year or two has been in the machine based tinkering.

There is also the well chewed problem of discussing something so subjective and emphemeral as 'tasting' online, it's a much more difficult thing to develop a common language for without coming over all Jancis Robinson 'yah I'm getting chocolate spice notes, oohh leather, cigar ash....' etc etc. Cupping forms go some way to addressing this I suppose.

I was being told by a workmate today that Nestle instant cappuccino sachets are the best thing ever. Be thankful for small mercies :wink:

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby pault » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:36 pm

why didn't someone tell me about these sachets before I bought the Spazio?? :cry:
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby zix » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:50 pm

pault wrote:why didn't someone tell me about these sachets before I bought the Spazio?? :cry:

brrrr, NOW you scared me. :shock:
*shaking*
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:49 pm

magic packets of wonder !!!!!!! wow were can I get them from ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:36 am

ROFLMAO!!!! (about the sachets ;-) )

Simon, nice waffle :-D

Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Return to Espresso