milk preparation

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

milk preparation

Postby DrZeus » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:53 am

(first of all, does this post belong here? -- couldn't think of a better one...espresso...espresso drinks...milk prep?...okay, I'm rambling)

I don't have an espresso machine, therefore, I don't have a steam wand. I'm happy enough right now with the coffee I get from my single-shot moka pot (although I'd be happy to acquire a machine if the price was right), but I'm not happy with the tools I currently have for making milk for a latte (I'm an American...I like lattes...and I use a lot of parenthesis and ellipses).

I have one of those battery-powered "cappuccino" milk frothers, and it makes a lot of very pretty bubbles on the surface of the milk. I also have one of those hand frothers than somewhat resemble a french press -- it does a fairly decent job, except for when I have to heat up the milk.

For that job, I use a microwave. :) I must balance two important variables -- do not overheat the milk, and watch that it doesn't climb the glass and spill out (it expands while it's heated). In addition, the once fairly frothy milk, after being heated, has turned into luke-warm milk with a heap of semi-styrofoam on top. Well, not quite that bad, but not nearly as nice as it looked before putting it in the microwave.

Even if I could get the temperature of the milk up, without improving the froth, I would be happier. I would love to hear your suggestions on how to remedy my situation.
DrZeus

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:35 pm

Have you ever considered those Aerolatte frothers? They run on batteries and whisk the milk to foam, so I have been told. I am sure you can find them on the internet for anything between 10 and 25 euros.

Alternatively you can froth milk with a press-pot. Just put hot milk in a 1 or 2-cup press-pot and plunge it a couple of times.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:30 pm

I haven't seen an Aerolatte frother, but is it anything like what I've described I already have? Mine has a rounded metal piece at the end that gyrates. The other gizmo I described is very similar to a press-pot, and I'm just not happy with the results.
DrZeus

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:00 pm

Man... I should learn to read. I am just suggesting the things you already mentioned. Please ignore!

Can't help you then!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Espresso