Tampers

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Tampers

Postby kingseven » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:25 pm

Just thought I'd mention the fun I've been having with one of those brew handles with the bottom cut off exposing the basket.

Extraction really is a beautiful thing. It also let me and a friend look at tampers and tamping technique.

Convex tampers seem to be the way to go, providing a nice even extraction from the off. We were using the Reg Barber ones (both flat and convex).

Also tapping technique was called into question. Schomer is indeed right - excess tapping was causing an uneven extraction. Tapping then not tamping again caused a surprisingly pronounced effect.

I do worry that my job leaves me a little too much time to much about....
kingseven

Postby Raf » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:33 pm

You didn't record any video footage to go with this? I'm disappointed! Not even a picture? I think there's some money to be made from cut off PF's - I wonder who'll be the first to market one... ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Re: Tampers

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:55 pm

kingseven wrote:Convex tampers seem to be the way to go, providing a nice even extraction from the off. We were using the Reg Barber ones (both flat and convex).....

Is there really a difference between convex tampers and flat tampers. i am the owner of the flat RB tamper, so I sinderely would like to know.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby kingseven » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:17 am

I bought a flat RB, and its a great little tamper. But time after time the coffee was appearing around the outside of basket first, not equally across all of it. I think I will probably buy another RB one - maybe just the base if he will sell me one. The convex tamper provided a much more equal extraction, and the extraction looked better (less streaking etc...)

I'd like to do more test but I had to give Matthew Algie their tamper back. :(
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby kingseven » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:01 pm

Sorry to dredge this up today but its what I've been working on a lot lately.

It really is quite fascinating stuff - and oh so pretty. The only problem is trying to do something genuinely scientific with it. There are so many factors. Have any of you guys roasting got hold of one to see if there is much difference in the taste. I can't really tell with the coffee I have to use. The difference between "awful" and "less awful" is barely noticeable.

I think Phil understands. If anyone wants to send me some decent stuff, well - you know - feel free! ;)

I had no idea just how much it can help improve dosing and tamping. It does leave one a little obsessive. After all - its just a cup of coffee.

kingseven

Re: Tampers

Postby MKSwing » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:46 pm

kingseven wrote:Just thought I'd mention the fun I've been having with one of those brew handles with the bottom cut off exposing the basket.

Where did you get this ? 8)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:11 pm

Does any one know where I can get hold of a 53mm tamper in the UK?

Sorry to go off topic a little
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:20 pm

Don't you mean 52mm? Steve Penk corrected me on that point yesterday IIRC.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:20 pm

yes something like that :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:22 pm

kingseven wrote:
Just thought I'd mention the fun I've been having with one of those brew handles with the bottom cut off exposing the basket.

Where did you get this ? Cool

I got one of the engineers at head office to do it for me. Somewhere in the US is selling them - it'll be in a CG thread somewhere I am sure!

No idea about 52mm tampers. Can La Spaz not supply them for you?
kingseven

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:29 pm

Thats my next port of call
Steve
Founder Member

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:50 pm

Eeffoc,

You can order direclty from Regbarber and they will resize it for you in every size you like (cost additional GBP 7).
Their website is: http://www.coffeetamper.com/

If you order more tampers (for other TMC members :wink: ) you can save on the shipment, because the shipment costs are GBP 7 regardsless the quanitities (as you know one of my major targets in live, but never forget I am Dutch so I just inherited it from my anchestors). : :(

I hope this will help, so I could do something for you instead of you providing me all the information to improve my coffee.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

51 or 52mm?

Postby pault » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:59 pm

I got a 51mm Esclamativo for my Pavoni from Impod- am hoping I can get away with using it on the Spazio - be interesting to see if 1mm smaller than the ideal will make a huge difference? We'll soon see ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby kingseven » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:04 pm

I would say it would make a huge difference. If tapping is out becuase it mucks with extraction then having a perfect fitting tamper is essential if you are trying to avoid an uneven extraction (which we all are).

kingseven

Postby pault » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:22 pm

oh, rain on my parade why don't you ...

will order another impod at 52mm - that is the definitive size for a 53mm La Spaziale basket isn't it?

I also read a tamper thread on Coffee Geek that claimed for some reason below 53mm - flat bottomed tampers seemed to work better but convex were better above that size - forgotten the reasons given ...

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Espresso