Grinder advice sought

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grinder advice sought

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:12 pm

Given my recent problems with my Isomac grinder, and the cracking of several parts :cry: , it looks like I'm in the market fro a new grinder (when I can raise tha cash, might have to be a an Xmas pressie from lots of people!). The question is what should I go for? I mostly drink espresso, but would like the oportunity for occasional caffatiere brewing. I did like the stepless control I (briefly) had with the Isomac grinder (after modding). I need something that will fit under the kitchen cabinet, and not take up too much space. Also something that will stand up to daily use, which it is clear the Isomac won't.
Am I going to need a Mazzer?

Answers on a postcard to TMC :D
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:27 pm

I bought the Lusso as a Mazzer alternative and then realised afterwards that it was an espresso-only grinder. :oops:

Sounds like either a Mazzer or two grinders. Oh as an aside, I know several people in the trade who don't like Mazzers, although the afficionados like you and I seem to love them. You pays your money, you takes your choice. BTW I love my Lusso and the results are outstanding.

BTW I like my Zass for press pot and vac pot use. It's too much trouble for daily use but great for taking on holiday. If your press pot usage is only occasional then you could consider a Zass rather than mess with the settings on your number 1 grinder.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:36 pm

I have no expereience of the Mazzer apart from popular consent, it is interesting that trade people are not so enamoured, I wonder why? I'm certainly open to (hopefully cheaper :) ) alternatives.
How big is the Lusso, and what would it set me back?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby phil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:42 pm

Effing huge and I don't know. I got mine at trade so I have no idea of the retail. More than a doser Mini I would guess.

For an indication of the size of my Lusso see my thread "Too Much Coffee Equipment" in the Off Topic forum. Alternatively if you want to borrow my old Rocky like we discussed you can get to see it first hand!
Last edited by phil on Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:07 pm

Sounds a bit big! Jess would kill me :lol:
I'll see if I can pop up at the weekend if you're around.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby phil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:11 pm

Sunday but not Saturday - I'm over in MK ferreting for a mate on Saturday.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:51 pm

If you (or your wife) would decide that it has got to be small anyway, you could always have a look at the minimoka, which is about the same size as the one you have. A bit sturdier built, though. Flat burrs. I´ve had mine for two years now and it can stand everyday espresso use without breaking down.
I´d still want a used pro grinder myself though - or a MM.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:59 pm

Thanks, I'll look in to the Minimoka.
If you (or your wife)

Jess is my girlfriend,no knots tied yet, let's hope she doesn't read this :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby matts » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:02 pm

phil wrote: Oh as an aside, I know several people in the trade who don't like Mazzers, although the afficionados like you and I seem to love them.

As a counter aside I know several people in the trade that swear by Mazzers! :wink: , and send them out time after time into the field for full on cafe abuse with no more than a clean up and new burrs.

However, (and I'm sure it's a BIG however if you are a trade supplier) Mazzer the manufacturer are by all accounts a huge pain in the ass to deal with and have delivery time and stock issues that would drive you spare. I'm sure this is part of any hesitancy expressed.

Despite my shipping issues I have now have a fully working immaculate Cimbali Junior for £150, which is the dogs nuts as far as I'm concerned given that the sticker price is 3x that anyway. With the tinkering skills you have Si I'd seriously consider a punt on something used commercial?

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:11 pm

With the tinkering skills you have Si I'd seriously consider a punt on something used commercial?

You could be right, my only concern is size, I have very little space. Where did you get your cimbali from? there seem to be few used machines (at sensible prices anyway) popping up on ebay.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby stevenzaat » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:15 pm

I know that Ivo (IVDP) has some promachines (http://www.ongebrand.nl/index_eng.htm) for sale for around EURO 350, but you have to change the electric plug and I do not know if you are on the same voltage now in the UK. But because it is stepless it is almost impossible to switch easily between drip and espresso setting.

I have an Innova and somebody gave me a hint how you can also use it to directly set it to the setting for drip. (see: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/69754)
I post it before I was member of TMC, so please forgive me for this ). I am very happy with it despite the fact that some coffee get sticked in the exit of the grinder, but you can release it simple with a small spoon. For my drip I use a Solis Maestro, becuase I found ot too much work to open the grinder to reset it..

I know Neku is not a fan of the Rocky, but maybe it is still an option. You can easily switch between the drip and the espresso-settting. Wish you luck in your decision and you know ESW (in NL) has got a very special price now for the Minimazzer (www.esw.nl).

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby matts » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:25 pm

simonp wrote:You could be right, my only concern is size, I have very little space. Where did you get your cimbali from? there seem to be few used machines (at sensible prices anyway) popping up on ebay.

Yup, size is the killer which is the reason I jumped on the Cimbali, I'd never get away with a Super Jolly! I have bought 3 things off e-bay in the last three years I think and am by no means a big lurker, so just got lucky. It helps to be shopping with no need or intention to buy.....Having said that I did take a calculated chance on it that almost backfired on me as despite only having to bid £102 to get the thing (low seller feedback) + £18 courier as posted earlier the guy packed it poorly and it got dropped on the way by the courier, breaking the base. But it was only £30 to replace that (luckily) of which the seller stumped up £20 which I can live with.

If I really 'needed' something sharpish and was tight for cash I would go and visit my local Rancilio distributor who also roasts and has a machine business on the side, he has a small industrial unit with a whole wall of shelves of used grinders of all weird and wonderful kinds in need of TLC, there must be similar operators you could go and chat to in your neck of the woods?

Matt
matts

Postby simonp » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:46 pm

Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby matts » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:51 pm

Fine I think, but huuuge. Standard cafe fare.

You might be better with one of these from the same chap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3844083457

It's the Cunill Tranquilo which with it's low hopper fits under the kitchen cabinets. A guy in the States had them on special for a while so there's a lot of chat in the a.c. archives about this grinder.
matts

Postby chrisnotton » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:03 pm

Ciao,
Anfim's fully-pro grinders (Pasquini) are only about 15" high

Gaggia MDF's are about 12" high and on special at Amazon £130 with free delivery

Aerolatte's are also 12" and on special at Harvey Nicks at £80 see Aerolatte's site
(hard to find, scroll down and click on "here")
http://www.aerolatte.co.uk/

Pip pip
}<////(">
chrisnotton

Next

Return to Espresso