How much espresso can I sell in a small coffeeshop?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How much espresso can I sell in a small coffeeshop?

Postby wolfgangr » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:18 pm

To anyone who knows a lot about coffeeshops:

A good friend of mine who is a coffee-farmer in Brazil and I are going ahead with our project to export a quite good blend to Europe (see earlier posts). We don't want to depend on the large importers, so we will try to sell it directly to coffeeshops who are independent. To check viability of this business, I need to make some assumptions, and would appreciate any hint or info:

- how much does a small-sized (about 10 tables) coffeeshop sell in espresso and espresso based drinks, on average per day?
- how many coffeeshops (UK, Germany) who do not depend on long-term contracts with large roasters are there?

I would really appreciate any hint.
wolfgangr

Postby Joey » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:19 pm

This is where I get very, very, very useful information from other coffee shop owners. It's a forum from and for owners - no geektalk. They are in the US, so the paper cup to porcellaine cup ration may vary, but still - they have some 10 table shops there...
http://www.specialty-coffee.com/forum/f ... FORUM_ID=1

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby wolfgangr » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:45 pm

Hi Joey, "valeu" as the Brazilians say, or "good one" in English! I'll try to become a member, if they accept me.
wolfgangr

Postby Joey » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:55 pm

just sign in, they don't ask questions.
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:21 pm

The market for beans in independats in the UK is a difficult one to crack. Most want machine deals where they get a free espresso machine and pay through the nose for beans. The others have suppliers who they have been using for years and they have been brain washed.

Its a very competative market with very small margins I'd be very warry. Sorry to be all doom and gloom
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Espresso