La Marzocco double-filter

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Marzocco double-filter

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:39 pm

Neku, you probably can answer this question, but anyone, feel free!

What is the benefit of a La Marzocco double-filter? Is it any better than the standar VBM filter? Would you recommend one?

Thanks mate!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:05 am

I'm afraid I couldn't answer it: I ordered it from WLL, but then they didn't have it in stock and by the time they called me to say that it had arrived and did I still want it, I thought that 36 $ (I think it was that much for the filter plus the shipping) was a bit steep for a filter. I've been using the VBM double filter for a year now, and I'm still very pleased with it.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:25 pm

I've had the Marzocca (I think it is spelled with an a at the end... not sure though) -baskets, and as I'm not familiar with the VBM filterbaskets, comparing is impossible. On the other hand, as far as my experience with these baskets:
- the single basket is quite capable of making a very good ristretto/espresso
- the double basket idem for doubles.
When I received my Marzocca baskets, the first thing I noticed (comparing these baskets with the ones from Rancilio Silvia) is that they can hold a lot more coffee... and that's why it is possible to make a good single-shot with the LM single basket as the stock Sivlia-basket is in fact to small.
And then there is the holes issue. It seems to me that the holes in the LM baskets are superior to Silvia's stock baskets and also Elektra's stock baskets... (I whished the LM baskets fitted in Elektra :( ).
Last issue: you can tamp right down to the bottom of the basket as the walls are straight.
As said before, I'm not familiar with the VBM baskets, but If you are in the position buying the LM baskets for not to much, I would certainly try them.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:30 pm

Good! Michel, do you happen to know what makes the the LM baskets technologically superior? And where to buy them in Europe?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:46 pm

Sunnyfield wrote:Good! Michel, do you happen to know what makes the the LM baskets technologically superior? And where to buy them in Europe?
No, I cant tell you why, just know they are..!
You can buy the at: www.ongebrand.nl
or at: www.coffeetogo.nl (the dutch importer of La Marzocca) I bought them here, and received them the next day (think the costs were around 10 euro for both, but I'm not sure anymore...)
Or you can buy them at www.lamarzocco.com in Italy, or try to locate the UK importer on that site...

Good Luck.
Michel

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Raf » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:11 pm

Sunnyfield wrote:Good! Michel, do you happen to know what makes the the LM baskets technologically superior? And where to buy them in Europe?

I don't think it's a matter of technology (this part I can answer): it's just that they are a bit deeper, and therefore they can hold more coffee, supposedly producing a smoother cup. Also, they are ridgeless, so you can tamp a bit deeper in the filter.

Personally, I think that the whole LM ridgeless filter thing has all the looks of a fad (is that the word I'm looking for?).

BTW Eward, I'm still waiting for that definite Mazzer Mini review. Now that I can't buy it, I want to at least drool over your review ;).
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:12 pm

---Also, they are ridgeless, so you can tamp a bit deeper in the filter.--

All the way to the bottom to be precisely.

---Personally, I think that the whole LM ridgeless filter thing has all the looks of a fad (is that the word I'm looking for?)---

I agree on this one with you. I thought the same till I was that desperate with the single basket of madame R. Silvia, that I ordered the baskets. And as said before: I could really make a good espresso with LM singlebasket, as for the R. Silvia baskets, I could only make ristretto's...
Yesterday I visited Peter (a friend, ally who bought Silvia from me). We had diner (he is a really good cook: home-made-filled-with-cheese pasta as a starter, mussels, topped with kale and bread-crumb -imported from Italy... he say's its the best... but I have my doubts it can't be made at home...- and last but not least a delicious pie with fruits - mainly apricot's - inside) out of the oven... and after diner he got a little bit nervous as he was supposed to make the espresso's and a cappa for my wife and a lungo for his own wife...
But he did well! All the coffee's were good (although made from old beans, so not that! good...)
After that, I made a second double shot of espresso's for both of us... It was great to hold Silvia again (she is really trouble free, compared to Elektra - although the first shot of Elektra is sublime and unequalled -) and we start talking about the baskets... I had given him the LM baskets and also the standard R.S. baskets... He explained to me that he tried both of them, then felt most comfortable with the R.S. baskets (also because they hold less coffee, and he does not want to spoil anything unnecessary...), but in the end, after a couple of weeks, he switched back... and uses the LM baskets now for over a month not thinking about returning to the standard baskets.

I wish I had an explanation beside it holds more coffee and the holes are a bit different... But when it comes to taste: there is an obvious difference.

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:02 am

Thanks for clearing this up, Michel. Maybe I'll have to look into these baskets again. After I buy a MM and a HT!

Raf
Founder Member

Return to Espresso