Puzzling Peculiar Pavoni Puck Problem

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Puzzling Peculiar Pavoni Puck Problem

Postby maurice » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:10 pm

I’ve been trying to work out why, on my ancient Pavoni Europiccolo (early 1960s model) I get a good dark stream of coffee from one spout, and a slow very light coloured trickle of drops, several seconds later, from the other. Channelling, presumably, but nothing I do to vary the grind or tamp pressure, including maximum two handed pressdown, seems to eliminate it.

I noticed that there were signs of breakup, on the surface of the centre of the puck - no deep cracks, just a sort of ‘blasted’ appearance on the surface - but again I couldn’t eliminate it by playing with tamp pressure.

Finally today I discovered the weirdest thing. The puck is being damaged when I attach the portafilter to the grouphead. This happens before the water even touches it! The showerscreen itself is distorting the puck. This may be because I’m using a convex tamper. Unfortunately I don’t have a flat tamper small enough to try as an alternative. (I think mine is a 52 mm basket)

At the moment I’m trying to see whether I can dispense with tamping altogether. Ie overfill the basket, and rely on pressure from the showerscreen to compress the coffee.

Anyone ever come across anything like this before?
maurice

Return to Espresso