For drooling purposes

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

For drooling purposes

Postby Raf » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:19 pm

check out this shot:

http://alistair.coffeed.com/
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:24 pm

WOW ! very nice it worked :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby cleverdic » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:51 pm

It's a portafilter with its bottom cut off. I've never seen one of those below. Is that a home made job or can you get these things. If you can, why?

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby Raf » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:57 pm

It's a home made job, I think. I saw it discussed on alt.coffee. Basically, you have to saw the spouts off your pf. As to the why, I don't know, but that's not uncommon in geek-ridden environments ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby alans » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:06 pm

I like it, where's my hacksaw?!?!?!
alans

Postby Joey » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:23 pm

Maybe it was just made as a sample to teach about the technique to barista students....
That reminds me a bit of my childhood, when we mounted these thin plasticbottles next to the back wheels of our bikes - absolutely useless but made a cool noise when speeding cause the bottle was hitting the spikes and you could hear how fast someone ws going just by the sound....
anyway - useless, but still cool, as the thingy above - or does anyone have a *good* reason for that "debasement" :lol:

Maybe it was just an accident :D : the bottom once fell off when hitting the knock box too hard >lol<
....happened to me once with a coke bottle - wanted to open it by hitting the crown seal against the edge of a table - and off came the bottom of the bottle, followed by the coke on my boots :cry:

Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby HughF » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:35 pm

I took the spouts off my Carezza's portafilter a year ago just by unscrewing them. All coffee goes reliably into one shot glass, there is more vertical clearance underneath the pf (needed to keep a 500ml soup mug underneath to assist the ridiculously small Carezza drip tray). The main drawback is that you can't judge a shot by flow characteristics if these characteristics were described by anyone still using spouts.

I guess it's easier to see channelling with the pf base removed completely though.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby maurice » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:54 pm

Joey said:

That reminds me a bit of my childhood, when we mounted these thin plasticbottles next to the back wheels of our bikes - absolutely useless but made a cool noise when speeding cause the bottle was hitting the spikes and you could hear how fast someone ws going just by the sound....

You mean I can go just as fast even if take these off my bike...?
maurice

Postby Joey » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:10 pm

I dunno, can you? :twisted:

good one, maurice
:lol: joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby kingseven » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:08 am

I've just been reading about this at the scaa forum. They are all massively overexcited about this. Maybe overexcited is the wrong word. Claims of massive improvement to taste etc etc...

I'm just curious to get my hands on one to see it first hand. I'm sure it would make an excellent training tool.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Return to Espresso