Stepless grinder adjustment

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stepless grinder adjustment

Postby simonp » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:14 am

Hope fully I should have stepless grinder adjustment soon :D
I discovered that the exact same burrset including the motor/gearing mountings that oe in my Isomac grinder are also used in the Iberital MC2. The Ibertial however uses uses a worm adjuster on the teeth on the outside of the top burr carrier, whereas the Isomac uses a peg in the holes in the burr carrier. Obviously using the worm drive gives infinite grind adjustment. My only gripe about the Isomac was the reqired grind often fell between settings when trying for a ristretto, as you are so close to stalling the machine at this point. One of the Innova grinders also uses the same worm drive, and is quite highly thought of, I believe, as the conical burrset is very good (much better than the one used on the Solis/Dualit/Starbucks one).

Having found a source for Iberital spares in the UK, I investigated the possibilty of obtaining the worm drive as a spare part. Yep £14.61 incl P&P.

The parts turned up this morning, so if I can find some suitable mounting bolts I can give it a try later.
8)
I know it won't quite be a Mazzer, but it should keep me happy for a while, as the stepless adjustment is one of the thoings people like about the mazzer, and I saw in a comparison that this burrset gave a quality of grind not so far behind the mazzer one. OK the machine is not pretty, and the buld quality is dubious, but at the end of the day it is the grind quality that counts. :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby simonp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:15 am

Got the worm drive installed last night, had to a slight mod (trim some plastic), and I'll need to cut a bit of the top cover.

There is quite a creking noise when adjusting now, but this is due to the hard nylon thread that the burr carrier has, and is not a problem as these have lasted for many years (see Danny Macnulty's site, he had an Ibertial for some years with the same burrs).
The adjustment is certainly fine now, I reckon 4 whole turns is the same as 1 notch previously! So correct dialling in should now be possible.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:15 pm

Just thought I'd mention how I'm enjoying this luxury now. Pulled a ristretto this evening, a bit short, so 1/2 a turn on the adjuster, ran a second shot, perfect 8) .

BTW has anyone else found they're having to grind quite a bit finer with the high humidity weather we have at the moment?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby alans » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 pm

Any chance of some pics of the mod?
alans

Postby simonp » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:14 pm

Yeah, next time I borrow the digicam from work I'll take some.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Espresso