Pop, sparks and no coffee!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: RE: Pop, sparks and no coffee!

Postby GreenBean » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 pm

canta_brian wrote:I got a bit lucky and found a sparky with an Izzo Alex who understands my pain. Sounds like he can move my circuit to the side of the board that doesn't mind whatever problem my machine has. I will let you know how I get on.

I am not so sure that this is a good idea. It sounds as though your new wiring includes RCD (residual current device) protection which is tripping due to a leakage current from your machine. You old house may not have had this protection. Your espresso machine may or may not be safe. Whilst powering it from a circuit without RCD protection will solve the tripping problem it may leave you exposed to electric shock. In a machine that combines water, steam and electricity within a metal case this is not a good idea.

I would suggest you get the sparky to explore what is causing the leakage current that is tripping the RCD. The first test would be to disconnect the heater and then see if the machine still trips the RCD.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby canta_brian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm

It seems to trip when the heating element has been on for about 5 mins.

It is the heat protector that seems to pop rather than the rcd for the circuit. I will have to get him to check it all out properly. In the mean time I will continue to look for that illusive decent cup of coffee from a UK Cafe!
canta_brian

Postby phil2spill » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Is that the over-temperature cut-out in the Leva, or something to do with the house wiring?
phil2spill

Previous

Return to Espresso