chute modification on Macap MC4

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 am

Hi squallleonh,

thanks for the link:)

well that sounds like a massive modification and a bit too much for me. I will try out other methods before doing anything drastic.

Cheers,
dsc.

PS.
QC: you meant this picture?

"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Skippy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Could always find a local metal finishing firm and see if they can polish the spout up for you, they dont charge much at all.

Not sure how obvious the raised silicon bit is, but if you can get to it a craft knife will slice it off very easily.

For a really really crazy idea...... How about some kind of powered turbine churning through the grounds as they exit the spout?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby dsc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi,

polishing the spout is indeed smth to consider. I tried checking out the 'neck' today, but apparently it's not as easy as I thought. There is a small hex nut on the outside, but it appears that there's smth else inside that holds the spout in place.

As for he turbine, you mean something like a fan inside the spout to break the clumps? Too problematic probably.

Cheers,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:40 pm

dsc wrote:QC: you meant this picture?

Yes Tom that's the one and I wouldn't swap mine for a vibrator. It's the perfect tool for raking and breaking clumps.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby dsc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi QC,

probably a good idea to go back to using it:) I just thought with a new grinder I would be able to simplify the whole process. Well I guess since grinder engineers are retarded it's not possible.

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby HughF » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:49 pm

Sell it and buy a doser grinder? Can you borrow a doser grinder or get some real time on one just so you know what using one is really like?

It might not be that expensive to swap grinders and a lot less hassle. Very little waste indeed with Macap dosers (1 year anniversary of using my MXK just passed) and much less clumping. Grounds still stick in the throat of the grinder so some doses will be (2g?) bigger than needed but almost nothing will stay in the doser once through the throat.

I'll confess that I asked about a doserless MXK when I bought mine but luckily there isn't one made. There is NO compulsion to fill a grinder's doser at all - I grind per shot every time and leave nothing behind to stale.

It just seems to me that people go to major lengths to fix espresso distribution problems caused by doserless grinders when buying a doser grinder (for espresso use not brewed coffee) would be so much simpler. Let alone those (not in this thread) who spend massive effort converting a doser grinder to doserless even when grinding for espresso. You pay so much more for a Mini Electronic compared to a doser Mini or you could (I think) buy a doser Mazzer Super Jolly for similar money which would grind better (350W vs. 250W motor, reputedly a stiffer burr carrier also but taller) and clump even less than a Mini E.

I am sure many will disagree with me who have different experiences, maybe they have used duff or badly-maintained doser grinders (or have not used a doser grinder but dislike the whole idea on principle, with visions of pounds of already-ground coffee staling in dosers at bad coffee shops) but I have used a Dualit, a Rocky DL, an Iberital MC2 (DL), a Mazzer Mini E and now the MXK (the only doser) to grind for espresso, all for several months at a time. My espresso technique is not perfect by a long chalk but I can definitely tell the difference in results from different grinders over these long periods even with variable technique. (Personally, I would rate these in that order for increasing quality of results but with Rocky and Iberital equal.)

I think the Mini E is a wonderful grinder for brewed coffee (even though very few would go that crazy to get the best brewed coffee results) but I'm sceptical about any doserless grinder being the best **value** for espresso use - there's rarely a price reduction for doserless grinders in any manufacturer's range compared to the equivalent doser grinder.

Happy New Year,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby dsc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi Hugh,

well I just bought that damn grinder a week ago, so I wouldn't want to sell it. I just thought this is going to be the last grinder I'll ever need. Maybe it's possible to add a Macap doser?

I was also thinking of adding something similar to the espressoparts doserless mod part, which shouldn't be hard, but... well I would just love it if I wouldn't have to mod anything just once.

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 pm

My machine is doserless and I grind into a whisky glass. The diameter of the glass is about 50mm, so I up-end it into the basket, tap down onto the counter and then rake with your cork and needles. Bish bosh - job done.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby HughF » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:18 pm

OK dsc, I take your point - I was partly talking for the next few TMC espresso grinder buyers as well as yourself.
Mind you... if it's that recent could you possibly ask your Macap dealer for a swap even with a little cash attached? They might be reasonable about it just to keep you as a happy customer. Try to get one with stepless adjustment if you can (when grinding for espresso only), just another virtue of a swap as I don't think they make stepless adjustment for the MC4.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby dsc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi,

QC: that's what I did on my MDF. Thought I would be able to loose the glass (it was an espresso cup) and the rake, but I'm doomed as the inventor I guess:)

Hugh: I thought about contacting BB (that's where I bought the grinder) and asking them if it's possible to do a switch for a dosered version. I doubt it, as they haven't got a doser version of the grinder in stock.

Oh and my MC4 has got a stepless adjustment. I did a mistake of buying a stepped MDF and won't go down that path again:)

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby dsc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi again,

so I took that damn doserless spout yesterday:

As you can see a lot of coffee is left inside and it's hard to get it out with the spout in place.

I was thinking of adding a chute similar to this one:

But there's no way I'm going to pay 70=80GBP for it (espressoparts). Any ideas on what else I can use?

I'm pretty sure it's possible to fabricate something similar somewhere, but I'm not sure what companies to contact, any suggestion here? I know jam funnels have similar shapes, so it's definitely possible to make a chute identical to that offered by espressoparts. I'm just not sure where to look.

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 pm

A cutted plastic bottle like Aadje has?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby dsc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi,

well having spent 250GBP on a grinder the idea of attaching smth plastic to it is not very attractive:) I was looking for something metal, because I want to make it look good as well.

I've heard that you can use a lathe to do a similar thing. Don't know how it works though.

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Brummie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:20 pm

A metal cocktail shaker: cut out the bottom. I tried this for the Mazzer Super Jolly, but didn't have time to finish. You need some tools to work metal (pretty hard stuff those shakers). Haven't cut out the opening to collect the coffee yet. Down side: large opening on the bottom. (see picture)

Other solution would be, look out for a nice mettal funnel you know the normal house hold ones but then the metal version. Cut off the tube and voila... Your replacement funnel (probably for a few dollars/euro's)

Brummie

Mod's Edit: Photo(s) resized to fit page and prevent stretching.
Attachments
Brummie 1b.jpg
Brummie 1b.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 14251 times
La Spaziale S1 Mk2 | before that: Espressa Mini (Euro 2000 Jr) | Mazzer Mini E - Model A | Hottop Digital | Lava and Beyond-the-Bean and a real HasBean tamper | Motta steam jug/pitcher | ex-gf constantly monitoring my coffee progression ;)
Brummie

Postby dsc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi,

thanks for your advice Brummie:)

I actually found out there's an easy way of creating such a piece. The method is called metal turning and it involves a machine similar to a lathe, a metal disk and a wooden form. I'm talking to a couple of metal turners in Poland and checking whether they would do the funnel for me. I emailed a bunch of them and got response from two, who stated it is not a problem and that I need to send a CAD drawing with all the dimensions. I will do that today and see what the price is like, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than 15GPB since it's a simple shape and it's going to be done in Poland:)

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso