chute modification on Macap MC4

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

chute modification on Macap MC4

Postby dsc » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi,

yes I know the topic sounds weird:)

I recently got a doserless Macap MC4 and it clumps. Well no big deal I knew it does that, but I was wondering whether it's possible to attach some kind of vibrating device to the chute to break those clumps? The idle thing would be smth like a sifter which vibrates but I doubt it's possible to create one without spending a lot of money or modifying the grinder. So I was thinking of a vibrator that could be attached to the metal chute (kind of like a strap on;))

Any thoughts on this subject? is it worth it? or where can I find something like that?

And please, no sex jokes;)

Cheers,
dsc.
Last edited by dsc on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Re: vibrating device for a doserless Macap

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:57 am

dsc wrote:Hi,

yes I know the topic sounds weird:)

I recently got a doserless Macap MC4 and it clumps. Well no big deal I knew it does that, but I was wondering whether it's possible to attach some kind of vibrating device to the chute to break those clumps? The idle thing would be smth like a sifter which vibrates but I doubt it's possible to create one without spending a lot of money or modifying the grinder. So I was thinking of a vibrator that could be attached to the metal chute (kind of like a strap on;))

Any thoughts on this subject? is it worth it? or where can I find something like that?

And please, no sex jokes;)

Cheers,
dsc.

Vibrating strap-on ideas anyone? :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: vibrating device for a doserless Macap

Postby dsc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:21 am

Hi,

oh come one Cakey, I said no vibrating strap-on sex ideas:D

But really is there something that can be done? Cakey, I'm guessing your Macap is a doser version?

Cheers,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby espressomattic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:01 pm

DSC you really expecting a serious answer (Although it is a valid question I might add) :D
espressomattic

Postby dsc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:10 pm

G'day,

well I'm not sure what to expect;)

Just try to put all those sex jokes aside and focus on the grinder issue:D I know it's hard:)

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Skippy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Not sure if it would work to be honest, but you could try a cheap vibrator? If it works youd be able to take the motor and stuff out of the er case lol. Would be a cheap way to try it out, especially with the sales atm.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby knewmans » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:05 pm

Could try something like this http://tinyurl.com/287l4j but getting the power there might be the difficult bit.
Carimali Eta Beta Uno
Iberital MC2 Timed
Torr Tamper
knewmans

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Sorry dsc :oops: ;). Yes, ours is the doser verion and the sweep action is ecxellent. It deals with any clumping. I'm not sure what the answer is for the static issues with doserless grinders in general.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi everyone,

a pink vibrator attached to the grinder would certainly look cool:D

Those pager vibes are smth similar to what I'm looking for, but the grinder would certainly need smth bigger:|

Cakey it's not really a static problem, simply when the coffee is grind it goes from the burr chamber into the small "neck" between the spout and the chamber. It usually doesn't have enough momentum to fully "make it to the other side", meaning fall down the spout so it just stays in the neck. More coffee is being grind when the grinder is on, so more coffee stays in the neck and it gets compressed until it overfills and starts falling down the spout. This creates clumps instead of a constant flow of separated grinds. Why the hell the grinder producers don't angle the neck, so it's easier for the coffee to fall down? Don't know. Angle the neck, make the base of the neck movable by supporting it on tiny springs and connect the base to the motor which vibrates (or add a small vibrator) and voila! the problem is solved.

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Brummie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:36 pm

I recognise this problem (Have a Mazzer Mini Doserless). I really doubt whether a vibrating device will solve your problem. As you explained that the space in the "neck" is flat, ground coffee has no reason to move to the funnel voluntarily (and vibrating without a extra force pushing in the correct direction won't help) Maybe part of it will go but defintely not all.

I always scrape the coffee out of the neck with a flat peace of plastic (back end of the spoon) But thinking about this, You need something to really push it out. I have no idea yet how to create it but I would try to find a solution with pressurised air (like small plastic hose blowing air in the neck towards the funnel). Because I noticed that as soon as I scrape the majority of the coffee out of the neck and let the grinder spin again, it blows out the last bit of coffee like a fan. The air flow is not strong enough to get all out, so I still need a brush for the last bits. :)

(I always measure the amount of coffee per cup and put it in the grinder)

Hope this helps

Brummie
Last edited by Brummie on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
La Spaziale S1 Mk2 | before that: Espressa Mini (Euro 2000 Jr) | Mazzer Mini E - Model A | Hottop Digital | Lava and Beyond-the-Bean and a real HasBean tamper | Motta steam jug/pitcher | ex-gf constantly monitoring my coffee progression ;)
Brummie

Postby espressomattic » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am

Have you thought of contacting the maker to see if they have any solutions? After all they may not be aware of the issue?

My Mini Macho (I hate the name!) is doserless too and I have similar problems. I end up poking a bamboo skewer where the sun doesn't shine to losen the grounds. It is annoying I have to admit.
espressomattic

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:45 am

I don't think a vibrator will make much difference, it may reduce the static build-up on the chute, which sometimes happens. I cured it once with my Aerolatte (Nemox Lux) by increasing the size of the coffee ejector blades. I cut small oblong shapes from heavy duty duck/elephant tape.

I cut 2 oblongs, one each side of the blade and squeezed them together to form a larger blade. It lasts about 6 weeks before flying off. Make each new blade large enough to touch the base of the chamber. I only tried it once and couldn't be bothered again. I now use a 150mm length of heavy flat electric wire, shaped like a snake and hook the coffee build up, from the neck of the chute. I also use the cork and needles to distribute.

Tom can you post a pic of your Gdansk WMD again. I think you got the inspiration playing in the bath - it looks like a flouting mine, for sinking toy boats. BTW welcome aboard the madhouse Brummie and I'm the sanest one here. 8)

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Ive heard of someone having the interior of the grinder and the chute polished to help with clumping in an mc4. They did something else as well but its slipped my mind :oops:
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby dsc » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

ok so the vibrator idea is out, something new is in, but I don't know what yet:)

The air idea is kind of cool, but there are a few buts:

- coffee can get pushed into places where it shouldn't go, but on the other hand the burr chamber is covered by coffee all the time, so this shouldn't be a problem

- an air source would be needed, although I've seen (I think it was on CG) people installing pressure container lids on top of their hoppers and using that to create am "air puff" that would get the inner cleaned

Another idea is to use smth like this:

Simple idea costing too much

But DIY it instead of paying some sick amount for it. Shouldn't be too hard, or am I wrong?

Last idea is to not modify anything and simply do what Brummie suggested, use a piece of wire or smth else, "bother" the coffee in the neck and turn the grinder on for a short second to blow out the remains.

squallleonh: do you recall where have you seen these mods described?

NordicNed: it is indeed annoying as hell. Why can't grinder producers solve this problem?

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 pm

Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Next

Return to Espresso