chute modification on Macap MC4

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Belgik » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi gang -
Well the latest from dsc isn't too encouraging, but of course he needs time to get the proper explanations from his "metal spinners".
It would however be a shame if the design parameters as have slowly evolved during the course of this thread would come to naught, so it might -as alternative course of action- be necessary to try and find "other" metal spinners to execute the design.
I'll be gone for upto 10 days so won't be following this project (nor even TMC) but I'll be sure to check in after returning from Tunisia (no, not on holiday).
Cheers,
Paul
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby vinter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Hello everybody,

Any news on this? While I do not own a Macap, I think this would work equally well on a Mazzer doser model? If not, any takers for a Mazzer version of this?
Best regards, Mads
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby the_dude » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Any news?

Expensive alternative: Does anyone know where to order the original chute except from espressoparts.com?
[Andreja Premium, Mazzer Major, Behmor]
the_dude

Postby johnny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 pm

I dont really see this as being a problem. Being the cheap skate that I am, I dont like left over grounds being in the chute, so as I am grinding I normally have a twizzle stick of chop stick stuck up the spout jiggling it about to make the coffee come out ...... doing this stops any clumping and all the grinds are extracted as they are gound without getting stuck.

alternatively, take your spout to a car modifyiers and get it gas flowed ported and polished on the inside ...... no coffee will stick to it then
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby fred25 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Must say (if we're talking about the M4) that a kebab stick technique is not enough to get all of the grounds out. Though it is true that it pretty much eliminates clumping, there's a fair amount of grounds that is stuck inbetween the burrs and the beginning of the chute - as I was quite shocked to discover when I dismantled the grinder to have a look.

That's not much of an issue if one's using fresh beans of similar roast profile all the time (true there's contamination but not too much and in any case a little bit of accidental blending is okay), but if moving from, say, an overroasted OBJ (thanks to my inexperience in roasting beyond 2C !) - nevermind a batch of emergency beans - to some delicate yirgacheffe, there's a good chance of at least partialy ruining the latter's first grind.

Only grinders with vertical chutes (i.e. directly below the burrs) avoid this issue totally, AFAIK.
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby HughF » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 pm

johnny wrote:>snip<
alternatively, take your spout to a car modifyiers and get it gas flowed ported and polished on the inside ...... no coffee will stick to it then

I'd love to do this for the Macap MC6 at work, but I can't see our Accounts Department reimbursing me for the cost!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby alfborge » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:00 pm

If anyone is able to make a new chute for the M4, I'm interested as well.
alfborge

Postby staz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 am

I naively thought that my grinder would be air tight and all I'd have to do to 'whoosh' the leftover grounds out would be to push something the same diameter of the hopper down to pump air through it. Didn't work :(
staz

Postby mineson » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Hello, I have a Macap M4 which I agree is great for a grinder, but it needs a mod to stop the clumping.

Its been 2 years since this thread died. Was there ever anything done on a new chute? Belgik, dsc, did you move on to different grinders or just live with it as is? I'm curious how everyone continued their daily lives without this mod.

Another user posted a different approach on CoffeeGeek, where he ground and polished the existing chute with good results. He had a bunch to say on "bridging" where the burrs output, and his fix addressed this. However, this is a lot of grinding and polishing and it voids the warranty. :) http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/macapm4/orianm42

Is anyone still interested in making this mod?
mineson

Postby CakeBoy » Thu May 06, 2010 9:56 am

Welcome to TMC Mineson :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu May 06, 2010 11:42 am

Good luck on the mod. There are a lot of people here tinkering with their grinders so perhaps someone will come along with something to share.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Espresso