Fledgling Barista needs advice

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fledgling Barista needs advice

Postby robbie » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Hi all
sorry about this but I did say that I might have a few questions once my machine arrived and here we go.
My Techno is now plumbed in and fired up. However my sensory memory isn't what it should be. The espressos I am making seem good but my recent excursions into *$ and Cafe Nero etc have left my palette somewhat confused, I actually enjoy what I am making (much more so than the aforementioned chains) but I have no real reference to guage against until I return to Italy for a holiday (hopefully soon). It does seem to taste something like what I have read it should, ie like the fresh ground smells.
I have attached a few pictures of what is dropping from the spout and wondered if the more experienced could cast a wizened eye over them and let me know.
Pic 1 - after 8 seconds
Pic 2 - after 25 seconds
Pic 3 - after 90 seconds
Pic 4 - crema from above after 90 seconds
The 5th picture is of a shot done 5 minutes earlier but with the grind very slightly coarser (2 of the little bumps on the mazzer - 1/6th of the way between numbers) due to todays humidity. The grind I used for Pics 1 to 4 would not let any espresso through earlier today.
I can only post 3 on this mail (for some reason they are in reverse order too) ... don't know the reason, will follow up with 2nd email. Sorry they are a bit fuzzy but my camera will not focus any closer :cry:
Phil I haven't forgotten about the review of the Techno, it will follow when I have more experience and repeatable espressos.
Thanks
Robbie
Attachments
after 1.5 min.jpg
Pic 3 - after 90 seconds
after 1.5 min.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
25 seconds.jpg
Pic 2 - after 25 seconds
25 seconds.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
8 seconds.jpg
Pic 1 - after 8 seconds
8 seconds.jpg (32.49 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby robbie » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:33 pm

here are pics 4 and 5 hopefully in the correct order
Attachments
crema 90secs.jpg
Pic 4 -Crema from above
crema 90secs.jpg (19.82 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
2 bumps coarser.jpg
Pic 5 - 2 milled notches coarser
2 bumps coarser.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby simonp » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:38 pm

They look OK to me, somewhat big bubbles in the crema, but I often get that when my beans are really fresh, or have robusta in the blend.
There is no tiger mottling which you should get with a good extraction with fresh beans though.
The shot volume and timing looks correct.
What benas were you using?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby kingseven » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

The two bumps coarser picture looks a little long in volume, but there is no visible sign of white out so hopefully not too much overextraction.

The most important thing is to let your taste buds guide you. Enjoyment is purely subjective, though espresso is an exact science.

The pour is hanging straight down - which is a good sign. Overall - looks pretty good to me.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby robbie » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:03 pm

Thanks guys, just wish I could keep it consistently like pics 1 to 4. I thought the 2 bumps was a bit long too, but I now read that I count the 25 seconds once the pour begins not from the start aparently ... oops.
The humidity seems to be playing havoc with my pours at the moment. I find I am often choking the machine and have to dump the first pour and retry. It keeps the temperature (I've got it set at 95C or 203F at the moment) even more stable but doesn't half use up coffee quickly.
What is tiger mottling by the way? Do you only get it with really fresh beans?
I can't really say how fresh the beans are as I buy them ready roasted from my local roaster, a Mr Roberts in Mawdesely, Lancs. They were bought only a day or so before the above pictires. The blend was called "Milano" though what makes up the blend I'm not sure. It was a medium roast with no visible oil on the beans.
Thanks
Robbie
robbie

Postby pault » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:18 pm

Hi Robbie,

congrats on getting set up - have I missed anything but haven't seen any pics of your set-up, any chance of that??

regarding the timing of shots issue - from pg 103-4 of the Schomer book: "From the moment you activate the pump until all the flavour is extracted from the ground coffee should be between 25 and 30 seconds."

so the pre-infusion is included in the approx 25seconds of the ideal shot ...

does that help??

just for info - I seem to have the volume and timing of my shots down pat but am having real problems with my own roasting which is either underdone and the resultant taste very sour or overdone and very bitter - I'm a stubborn sod and keep doing 16oz batches in the dogbowl because I want to get used to doing that amount. Rather than just waste the beans I use them in a Vac Pot which in my experience unless you've really messed up the roasting at least gives you a bearable cup.

my advice about the wastage of beans due to getting the right grind - is persevere and maybe over-order your amount of beans to take the wastage into account. I have some bad days when the machine seems to choke for no obvious reason (my tamp has probably altered without me realising it) but normally once you've got the hang of it - the wastage rate comes right down and over the life of the beans and/or the process over 1 day I find I gradually make the grind coarser in small amounts...

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby robbie » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:47 pm

Paul
thanks, seen the reference now but from the web avi of Mr Schomer (I think it's his- http://www.coffeeresearch.org/perfectbest.avi) the pour that I see lasts 24 seconds ... :?
Anyway if I leave it much longer than 25 the pour becomes paler anyway so I always stop around there at the moment.
Here are a couple of pics of the Techno as requested, I'll post more when the review is done. The tiles, for an idea of relative size, are 6 inch.

Cheers
Robbie
Attachments
techno1.jpg
Side on, the red is more muted in real life
techno1.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
techno2.jpg
full frontal
techno2.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
robbie

Postby pault » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:32 pm

Thanks for the pictures Robbie - its a beauty

how do you change the temp? - couldn't see it from the buttons picture

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby robbie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:38 pm

Paul
yep, well chuffed I am, so is Ann as it looks much neater and a lot smaller than she expected.
It's just a simple button push operation, takes about 15 seconds and then it's set - the leds on the buttons indicate the actual temp whilst you set it up which is set in 1C intervals.
You do the same sort of thing to adjust the dose for steam, hot water and each of the cup buttons. The hot water is now set to fill a mug for a cup of tea and the steam to over a minute so I just push the steam button then push again to stop. Dead simple really.
Cheers
Robbie
robbie

Return to Espresso