mazzer mini cleaning???

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

mazzer mini cleaning???

Postby pault » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:58 pm

How often do people reckon a mazzer mini should be cleaned if it's in regular use??

I don't want to sound lazy but I've got it set just right and didn't want to take it apart too often ...

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:45 am

I brush it clean without taking it apart every 3 months. I grind white fast-cooking rice once every 6 months to get rid of the oil on the burrs.

I never take the MM apart.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:00 am

When I bought it, Henk told me to be very careful when taking it apart, which made me conclude that it was best not to take it apart at all. I see that Sunny came to the same conclusion.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:42 am

Hey, you can take anything apart and reassemble it as long as you remember the correct order!

SCREWS ARE OUR FRIENDS!! :lol:

Have fun
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby pault » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:34 am

thanks for the info - I thought I was being ignored on this thread :wink:

previously I did try taking apart as far as the top burr - gave it a clean but had real troubles getting it to grind again - panicked and thought I'd broken it. The trouble was just that I hadn't cleaned out the threads enough and the unit wasn't screwing in far enough again.

the bottom burr screws are far beyond the strength of this weakling - so I was stopped from doing any damage there ...

so basically, I think it is best just to leave the thing alone and clean around it.

thanks for the idea of the white rice - will give that a go in a couple of months.

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:54 pm

I do a stripdown cleanout about once a month - the Mini is very easy to strip, just remove the hopper, the limiting screw then simply unscrew the adjuster ring. (Pics are in the gallery.) Count the number of turns and note the point where the thread disengages - this will help during reassembly.

The burrs don't need to be removed from the burr carriers for cleaning. Use a toothbrush to clean the threads before reassembly. Easy, I think even my mum could do it.
Ian

Postby flimbag » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:10 am

Ian wrote:(Pics are in the gallery.)

What gallery? Where?

Easy, I think even my mum could do it.

Your mum is probably more practical than I am. I bet your mum wouldn't pour a liter of water into a Mazzer hopper.
flimbag

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:33 pm

flimbag wrote:I bet your mum wouldn't pour a liter of water into a Mazzer hopper.

Please say you didn't :shock:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

mazzer mini cleaning???

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:54 pm

flimbag wrote:What gallery? Where?

Sorry, http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid3946645 the pics were taken for another reason but show all you need to know.
Ian

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:59 am

I have not stripped mine down yet, however I get a nice clean air gun every now and then to it. (softly)

By clean I mean propellant free (compressor if you can manage it, otherwise a hand one works well).
By Soft I mean, use it in such a way that the grinds come out of the body instead of into it.

I did take off the doser once to have a look and I noticed that the motor inside was quite free from grounds so I guess it's insulated well.
Danny

Postby flimbag » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:52 am

joey wrote:
flimbag wrote:I bet your mum wouldn't pour a liter of water into a Mazzer hopper.

Please say you didn't :shock:

I'm afraid so. I had a full Brita jug that I was just about to use to fill my Euro Jr., when I was momentarily distracted and just poured it all into the Mazzer.

I stripped it down, cleaned it and dried it out and it *seems* OK, but now it grinds two notches on the fine side of the default setting (as opposed to two notches on the coarse side) and makes a rather peculiar noise when it grinds.

Do grinders need lubrication, I wonder?
flimbag

Return to Espresso