I can´t take it with me (sniff)

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I can´t take it with me (sniff)

Postby zix » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:41 pm

Maybe this has been asked elsewhere, I couldn´t find it anyhow, so: when you people are going away for a while and can´t take your espresso machine with you, what do you do with it? I can´t use it for about two weeks (...:cry:) so of course I´ll turn it off during that time.
I figure I ought to at least clean the group with a good backflush session and also empty the water tank.
Something else to do? How about the water left inside the boiler? I sure wouldn´t want to drink it after two weeks, but can it just stay there inside the boiler and the tubing?
This is the VBM Domobar, same as Neku and Sunnyfield has, a prosumer single boiler machine with water tank.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:51 am

I would not empty the boiler. The gaskets tend to get dry and brittle - well, maybe they are not ruined in 2 weeks - but I wouldn't risk it. Rather empty and refill the boiler several times after 2 weeks - a good rinse, maybe one time with a decalzifier (?)
JMHO
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:59 am

That's what I do with my Gaggia TD Joey - but then I have fewer options as it's plumbed and it doesn't have a boiler drain tap.

The constant hot water is useful for cooking though! :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:51 pm

joey wrote:I would not empty the boiler. The gaskets tend to get dry and brittle

Thanks, Joey! I won´t empty the boiler then. Better to do as you said, empty and refill.
Maybe I am overreacting on this still-standing-water thingy, have an aversion against still-standing water and what we call "legionary illness" (can´t find the english term) since working as a printer and since cleaning rinse trays in photo labs. Rather illogical aversion I suppose, but still... I can feel the same kind of coating on the inside of my water container as I felt on those old photo-rinse trays if I leave it in the machine for too long. Bleachh. Wash wash wash wash.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:03 pm

I know what you mean, hate that slick touch, too.
Where are you going these 2 weeks, if I dare to ask?
I hope you'll get good coffee wherever you'll go ;-)
Joey
Joey

Postby zix » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:00 pm

joey wrote:I know what you mean, hate that slick touch, too.
Where are you going these 2 weeks, if I dare to ask?
I hope you'll get good coffee wherever you'll go ;-)
Joey

Oh, just within Sweden. Three small kids and a car is not a good combination for any longer period of time, so it will be Stockholm the first week (yes, I have good hopes of getting some good coffee there, and hopefully some material for that long overdue "coffee in sweden" write-up I promised to do :roll: ), then some other small places for another couple of days on the way back home to Göteborg.
But of course I wouldn´t go anywere on vacation without my little travel-coffee-kit: the moka pot, some fresh roasted and the little blade grinder! Most of Sweden is Drip Brew Country you know (or, you will know after the article is finished :D )
zix

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:28 pm

Oh, Stockholm, had a very "fat" chocolate mocca there. the fat bubbles were swimming on the surface, but it was good!
Göteborg - I have been there with my husband for one night. We went to a club late night where people were dancing. It was very dangerous for my husband and me - we are both rather tiny (1,60m me & 1,74m my husband) - our eyes were in the height of all the other ellbows!! Weird. Göteborgeans are very tall people ;-)

joey
Joey

Postby zix » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:47 pm

joey wrote:Oh, Stockholm, had a very "fat" chocolate mocca there. the fat bubbles were swimming on the surface, but it was good!
Göteborg - I have been there with my husband for one night. We went to a club late night where people were dancing. It was very dangerous for my husband and me - we are both rather tiny (1,60m me & 1,74m my husband) - our eyes were in the height of all the other ellbows!! Weird. Göteborgeans are very tall people ;-)

joey

Ah, club-hopping!
If you ever go there again, you can try daMatteo or Bar Centro. Good coffe places both of them, and FYI "elbows down!" in swedish is "ner med armbågarna, pucko!". Although I hope you won´t need to say that at those places :wink:
zix

Postby Raf » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:03 pm

You take a grinder on your holidays? Respect! I'm not sure what I'll take camping with me this year. Usually, I take my Bialetti along (and - shudder - preground Lavazza or ILly or something), but as I don't use it for an entire year, the taste is deteriorating each year. I was contemplating a French press of some sort, but unfortunately, all the nice ones (Bodum), seem to be in glass: not ideal for camping. If anyone has any suggestions (short of: take your grinder and VBM along): gladly.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:27 pm

You can get some plastic french press's realy cheaply.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:20 pm

Get a Zass Neku (at least for french press). I bought one a while ago and just use it for holidays.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:23 pm

That's one of those hand mills, right? Mmm, I don't know if I want to spend my mornings grinding stale coffee (because after a week, it will be stale: might as well take preground). Eeffoc, do you know any brands for those plastic french presses?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 pm

After a week it will be stale? Nonsense.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:47 pm

I'll Pm you Neku
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:21 pm

phil wrote:After a week it will be stale? Nonsense.

Oh, alright, you got me: I'm too damn lazy to spend my holidays grinding coffee :lol:

Raf
Founder Member

Next

Return to Espresso