My steam wand is bad bad bad

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My steam wand is bad bad bad

Postby Steve » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:10 pm

Hellos guys

I have a nvonu Simonelli Oscar which is a top machine. In the move from home to the roastery the machine was left standing. since its been here I havent used the wand (why would I use drink espresso and filter all the time) .

I had some guests yesterday, made them both an latte and they kindly told me it tasted rank :oops: . It was the milk heated from the wand tainted the drink. now ive spent most of this morning cleaning it and soaking it and it still tastes bad, has anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Steve
Founder Member

Steam wand on Oscar

Postby HughF » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:41 pm

I was looking at an Oscar as a next machine once - IIRC, it doesn't have a hot water tap and so the boiler can't be flushed easily.

Is the water in the boiler rank/sour (as distinct from the frequently-replaced shot-brewing water in the HX)?

I think flushing the boiler needs a small amount of disassembly. Maybe there was a post on CoffeeGeek covering this a few months back; if not, it must be on alt.coffee. You probably know how to do this already though.

HTH,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:22 pm

Did you find the solution yet, Steve?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:31 pm

No I still have a real bad taste, so its espresso's or filter on sunday guys. :D
Steve
Founder Member

Postby carolynb » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:24 am

Have you tried Urnex milk frother cleaner? They also suggest a good scrub inside the wand with a pipe brush after soaking in the cleaner. You could also try descaling the boiler with a citric acid based descaler.
Isomac Millennium & Isomac Gran Macinino
carolynb

Postby alans » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:11 am

Sound like milk was sucked in to the boiler to me. I had the same prob a few years back and it turned out my coffee insensitive other half not flushed the milk residue out of the wand after steaming, so when the boiler cooled down it vacumed the milk back in to the boiler. Either way seems like it's time to get scrubbing! :wink:
alans

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:54 pm

Eeffoc wrote:....its espresso's or filter on sunday guys. :D

Fine with me!

I think I am closer to reliable microfroth (but not latte art) than I am to reliable shots - also I have only drunk straight espresso (away from home) at a couple of cafes in the next small town rather than anywhere serious - it's been pleasant but I'm sure others can do better. It will be nice to see what's possible with good technique.

Maybe it's time to find a "styrofoam" cup and check temperatures of brew water at home, last weekends shots were all a bit sour. Mind you, I was trying to let the shot go longer now I have 4oz. shot glasses which can handle the volume of crema from fresh-roasted beans, probably let it run too long.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:00 pm

Steve, did I see it correctly and does the Oscar have a 'closed' tank, like a jerry-can. And not an open basin like the VBM? Can you take the tank out and wash it? I found that I have to wash my basin at least once every two weaks or when it has been idle for more than seven days. If you leave old water to stand too long new life forms start to develop: very slimey and smelly!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:08 am

Aye. I swill the tank most days as I only fill it with bottled water. It pulls out so its really easy.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Espresso