Permission granted

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:32 pm

Stephane, you got it exactly right. It sounds bizzare but apparently for internet orders René is the guy to order it from. It is shipped directly from the Reneka factory to me though so it sort of misses the New Zealand bit out along the way. :?
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby michel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:49 pm

robbie wrote:cheers Michel, must admit I am apprehensive as well as excited about the new arrival. Excited as I love a new challenge but equally it's an expensive brick if I can't get the hang of it. Think I'll avoid the joys of home roasting until I have mastered the basics of espresso ... the more variables there are the harder it gets.

All the info you need can be found on the internet, BUT if it will help you controlling you temper when things won't work right away..? I know I got crazy by times when I just had my first espresso machine (Silvia)... and the info on internet was SO contradicting. One person said this, while another said the opposite... It made me mad, till I found out that nothing beats a good book. David Schomer's: 'Espresso Coffee' made me relax time after time on the couch, and the fact that you just read one-persons opinion (in spite of Schomer's 'freaky' attitude towards the subject) did it for me. I think I read it more than 10 times... not because I didn't remember what he wrote... but because it relaxed me and gave me confidence to give it another go.

Michel
(Giving completely irrelevant advice to a junior Reneka owner who probably won't have all those novice problems which other users have with low-consumer machines...)
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby MKSwing » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:58 am

robbie wrote:Stephane, you got it exactly right. It sounds bizzare but apparently for internet orders René is the guy to order it from. It is shipped directly from the Reneka factory to me though so it sort of misses the New Zealand bit out along the way. :?

Did you try to phone to Reneka to see if you could order directly from them or if there is a reseller in the uk ?
Well, as the machine is shipped from France, you won't pay so much for the delivery but perhaps the price of the machine would have been cheaper.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby robbie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Stephane, Quick answer no, long answer ... everyone who seemed to write about the Techno or who had bought one got it from Rene so never really thought to try direct. There may be a factory outlet or something but I didn't try. Seems Reneka sell to individuals via Rene, there are no UK dealers.
Michel, I looked for the Schomer book on UK Amazon but they don't have any available. However just found that Another Coffee have one so I may order it, hopefully it may give me some much needed advice.

Thanks all
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

any news??

Postby pault » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:36 pm

Robbie

any news on the Techno??

am interested in how it works out cos am considering getting one ...

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Paul
The Techno arrived a couple of days ago and very heavy and well built it is too. I tlooks very understated, no flash chrome in sight apart from the portafilter. I have not plumbed it in yet, it's currently sat on the counter top in its final location.
Neku has asked me to write a review for the site so I'll be posting that in a month or two. However I'll drop a few early opinions to the board before that.
The buying process worked fine though and you do get the full technical manual with it. I think that's because you are your own service agent.
By the way I have no idea how it works yet, never having owned an espresso machine before ... could be a very one sided review :lol:
Robbie
robbie

Postby pault » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:54 pm

would be grateful if you could keep us all posted,

I'm keen to know how smoothly it works and how much hassle it is to get it plumbed in.

I like my Giotto but the appeal of the Techno is that it seems to be better insulated and much easier to keep at a specific temperature, and generally more of a commercial machine designed for the home rather than an essentially home machine with some commercial attributes ...

I never thought I'd become this much of an (increasingly bankrupt) obsessive but if I get a Techno I'll be able to post some interesting comparisons with the Giotto (and the Pavoni Pro)...

you sound relatively calm for someone who isn't able to play with it yet - I'd be climbing up the walls and its not bad going straight from no espresso machine to a Techno & Mazzer set-up!!!

all the best and if you live anywhere near Manchester and will be organising a formal viewing let me know :-)

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:09 pm

Paul
About 30 miles NW of Manchester just south of Preston. Once I am happy with everything you are welcome to visit sometime, formal it won't be though!.
Just let me get somewhere near a drinkable espresso first :oops:
robbie

Postby robbie » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:18 pm

When you're working 14 hour days in Sheffield all week you become a bit numb ... but after my hols this week (already booked :( ) I have a couple of days to play :drink: For some reason I'm already looking forward to getting home.

As I put in my original intro to the group I tend to buy and stick with something, never been much an upgrade type, hence the mazzer as well (sort of saves on the bankruptcy too in a strange way), though I would still like an elektra one day, they just look cool ... perhaps I should just get me one of them Eagle things to stick on top of the Techno !

Cheers
Robbie
robbie

Postby pault » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:37 pm

I hear you about the upgrade fever which is why I went straight for the Mazzer too - but I think you've been lucky to come across the Techno when you did - when I was doing my purchase research there didn't seem to be too much beyond the Giotto unless you got into La Marzocco territory, maybe I should hold fire on the Techno and mortgage the house to get the LM and then I won't be in the same boat again :D One advantage of the upgrade thing is that you have spare stuff to use at work and in case any of the first line stuff is getting repaired.

Also hear you about the Elektra - I think the lever arms just look stunning and although useless beyond a couple of shots in a row are fun to use which get's lost a bit the more automatic the machine becomes.

Anyway - good luck with the setup!!

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby dyknicke » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:41 pm

Hi all! This is my first post here :) I am curious how much you paid for the E2K? Did you order from the factory? I know this thread is a bit out of date but I am still wondering...

/Niclas
dyknicke

Postby robbie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:32 pm

Hi Niclas
I din't get the E2K in the end, I bought the Reneka Techno. The E2K was well priced if you bought direct from the factory, I can't remember exactly waht is was though about 700 euro seems to come to mind. I know at least 2 people on this site bought one, ericc and flimbag. It may be worth asking them on a new thread.
Good to hear from you, welcome to the site.
Robbie
robbie

Previous

Return to Espresso